S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
S10LuvR
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for what rear setup to use and I have been going between airbar and a 5link.....thinking I'm going with the 5link but had a couple questions,

Welding the axle brackets and shock mounts.....how critical is it to get these in the exact place they need to be and what tools are needed (besides welder lol) to install them? (any speacial measuring devices) and If for some reason they broke off at the welds would this cause an accident on the roads?...thinkin the axle bracket would but cant picture where it sits.

I would have someone else do the welding, i've used my grandpas stick welder some for fun but never used a mig (getting one real soon hopefully)

also one more question do u have 2 cut the bed? would a hump do? I dont wanna lay out just layout skirts.

·
145 Posts
you will want to layout, i thought the same thing and am on my 2nd system. i'm in the midst of a 5 link install and i have to say its really straight forward with avtekks install thread. you'll need an inclometer to read the pinion angle. go with the 5 link, install is a breeze and im sure you won't be dissapointed

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
For the forward link bar mounts you can bolt the front in the relocated stock hanger, then swing it back and tack it onto the axle. The rear lift/shock brackets are just welded on so the shock mount is square with the world, that way your shocks don't bind.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
you are forgetting the notch, a crucial part of the 5 link and the 3 link also is the notch, on a 5 link the shocks mount on the notch and without them it will ride like garbage. The welding that has to be done on the tabs for the rear bars, tabs for the front bars, the notch and the upper shock mounts. All of the welding that has to be done is important, if any of them broke it may leave you stranded on the side of the road. Just make sure that whatever weldign you have to do is that is good and strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts