S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my STS intake my truck shakes its tail a little quicker than before. However, I have one question. My '99 5 speed does not have a tach; I was wondering what are my rpms when I am doing 50 in 3rd. I've got a friend who says he gets his up hire than that in 3rd, and his hasn't blown up yet, so I don't think mine will. Sorry for the long post, but I was just wondering
thanks
bigman1:thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked on here a long time ago but nobody ever helped me out. They said my '99 had to have some other think to install a non-factory tach, but they did not say what it was
bigman1

·
Registered
41 Posts
i got my s10 to 60 in 3rd and when i had it towed back to the shop they said that my clutch was destroyed:( but a 1000 dollars later it was ok again

·
Self Portrait
1,634 Posts
There is a rev limiter on the truck so you can't destroy it by reving to high. So, you can rev till the computer cuts the fuel!

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
for me, redline on all gears...

1st-32 MPH
2- 52 MPH
3rd-75 MPH
4th- takes it to limiter easily

No idea of rpms cause I have no tach either, but if you rev it this high, shift as its coming down from the limiter, like right at the limiter, and keep going you don't loose that much RPMS and you bark going into third no problem, plus you're generally beating what you're racing....I tend to pick on cavaliers

Caleb

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
mine cuts off at 77 in third with the 4.10 gears, 48 in second and 94 in fourth and fifth:madfinger damned speed limiter
I don't have the tach, but the GM website says it cuts off at 6 grand

G

·
yea...to put an after market tach on a DFI engine you have to hook it to the signal wire coming out of the computer....on my truck it was a white wire..in the blue connectore i believe...but don't quote me...but i have had mine for a year..hooked up like that and it works great...soo...it is made by autometer

·
Registered
98 Posts
what year is your truck, my rev limiter kickes in at 55 in 2nd, then 85mph in 3rd, so im pretty sure your not gonna blow it up if your only doing 50 mph in 3rd, and your tach around 3 grand if your going 50 in 3rd, and it redlines at 6

·
Registered
5 Posts
i crossed 85 in third in mine, and the the tach said 6700, mine will cut out at like 6800. you dont need anything extra to hook a tach up you just have to hook it to the computer not the ignition.if any one wants the wiring diagram that shows which wire it is email me and i will scan it for you. [email protected]

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Okay, my 2.2 is completely stock except for a hacked air can, and i hit the rev limiter at:

1st - 29
2nd - 52
3rd - 84
4th - 94
5th - 94 (takes about 5 miles :))

I also have no tach. Okay, I have a question now. With the 2.2, at what point should you shift in each gear on a hard run? Should you take it to just before redline, shifting just before it limits, or a lot sooner or what? Is there a point in each gear where the engine starts to lose power or at least quit gaining?

if that even made sense...

G

·
my sonoma doesnt have a tack in it but it has a shift light that comes on if u keep reving it. i go 26 in 1st, 50 in 2nd and 82 in 3rd. i was afraid to go about 60 in 3rd before i realized that i had a rev limiter so i started taking it up higher and higher and then realized the shift light that comes on when your doing 40 in 4th gear also tells u max rpm shift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no rev limiter and a aftermarket tach i can rev it to 7.5k and nothing really happens it wont cut off or nothing i'm not sure about this cuz i dont wanna blow my truck up and in other forums they say redline is 5.5k thats a big difference but i have a 2.2l with 3.73's any ideas?

·
one of a kind
1,983 Posts
i have a 03 s10 5 speed, i have a tach in mine and it starts to redline at 5.5k and tops at 7, i shifted hard from 3rd to 4th,at the same time somethin hit my hand and caused me to shift to 2nd, i know it went to the 7k mark without anything blowing up, nothing shut off and i dont think there was a rev limiter that activated...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts