S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys--- ok heres the deal--- i got a 91 s10 w/ 2.8 and 5 speed tranny--- i wanted to know if i put the 4.3 from my 1st gen parts blazer if it would be compatible with my pre-existing trans--- if it will work will it kill the trans or rear prematurely--- any info on this would be great--- thanx for the help ahead of time guys:)

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
nope, it wont bolt up unless you get a different bell housing

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so if i get the right bell houseing 1.) can i find it on any manual 4.3 1st gen in a j/y ---and 2.) is it gonna kill my trany from the 2.8--- thanx for the quick post tippman---

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
you need a bell housing from a 4.3 5 speed astro van, thats the only bellhousing that will work correctly

as far as killing your trans depends on how you drive it

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
olddime newtricks said:
astro vans come in stick????? Why?????
they did in the late 80's to early 90's and are kinda hard to find

·
Registered
28 Posts
It depends if you have a world class T-5 or not. A W/C 5sp is rated to 310hp. The other I don't know. The world class have a steel pin to the left of the main shaft of the tranny. The non world class doesn't have it.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
trlblzr85 said:
It depends if you have a world class T-5 or not. A W/C 5sp is rated to 310hp. The other I don't know. The world class have a steel pin to the left of the main shaft of the tranny. The non world class doesn't have it.
s-10s didnt come with world class t-5's

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just learned this myself

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
chances are good he wont have a world class trans since that the first one ive seen out of all the ones ive pulled ive pulled

·
Registered
67 Posts
The original T-5 trans in a 91 S-10 would be non-world class and have the GM bolt pattern. To mate to a 4.3 engine you could use the bell housing from a 92 or earlier GM car or truck with the small block chevy engine (or a 4.3 V6) and a 3 or 4 speed Saginaw, Muncie 4 speed, or T5 trans. Carefull on an Astro bell. I though they all had GM pattern T5s but just saw pictures of one supposedly came from the factory with a Ford pattern T5 trans, that bell would not work in this case. Also no go on a Camaro and Firebird V8 T5 bell, they tip the trans toward the driver, not what you want for an S-10.

How long will a six cylinder NWC T5 last behind a 4.3?? How are you going to drive that new 4.3, and what shape is the trans in before the engine swap?

Piper106

1 - 12 of 12 Posts