S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Been there Done it
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this video on LS1tech.com.
It a great video that anyone contemplating an LS swap should watch. Granted the particular car he's doing it with is not an S-10. But all of his comments apply to any swap where you are putting an LS engine into vehicle that didn't come from the factory with one. Being on the home stretch of my LS-10 swap I found everything he said was the truth and I feel he was being gentle so as not to discourage folks.
To be honest I think if you've done a number of these swaps it probably gets easier because you know what most of the little issues are and have found a cure for them. Or at least know where to look for the answer.
Having just had my engine back out there were a number of changes I made before and while re-installing it. Starting with modifying the motor mounts to lower the front of the engine 1/2". Something I'll know to do in the future.

Registered
Many good points made for sure. Most of the time I just shake my head when I hear guys that have never done this kind of swap say, " I'm gonna slap an ls into my truck!" That is when I grab the popcorn 馃嵖
"Attention to detail is the only solution"

B4U Task Force Admin
Many good points made for sure. Most of the time I just shake my head when I hear guys that have never done this kind of swap say, " I'm gonna slap an ls into my truck!" That is when I grab the popcorn 馃嵖
"Attention to detail is the only solution"
You're gonna need a bigger bag. We had a whiteboard full of issues with the Holley/Hooker kit. The most notable being the transmission crossmember. It was a no-go with a 4L60E from a sbc/4.3. They are a bit shorter than an LS version. We spent at least 2 weeks trying to figure out the problem. In the end, @Harley busted out an aluminum adapter on the mill that worked perfect. After going 'round with Holley, they now have a disclaimer on their site mentioning the problem...you're welcome. They now offer a nice adjustable adapter as well as CPW. The list goes on, and on, and on. What ever your budget is...iincrease it by 25%.... 馃槀

Horsepower Addict
Like when Stainless Works did not state their long tube headers were never tested with a T-56 trans, but designed around old style automatic trans with an open bell housing.
... or the G-force crossmember that needs relocated upwards & a 1" spacer under the trans mount for proper alignment.

Been there Done it
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems to be the dominant theme for LS swaps. All the parts that are available, but only fit one particular setup. Then need adapting for most other applications.
I screwed around with various PS pulleys to eliminate pulley to steering box interference. A couple Dorkman pulleys work, kind of, if you never have to remove them. Finally found that Dirty Dingo actually makes one for truck accessory systems. It actually fits. For $90.
I wasted a couple days a couple times trying to get the others to work. And wrecked a couple pumps. But if you do the research numerous sites say the Dorman ones are the only thing that works. Probably true 8-10 years ago. Before DD finally decided to find a cure and manufacture a pulley that works and is removable. My cutoff wheel and Mig got a lot of use.

LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
Someday I will need to write up what I did to get my LS6 (2003 Z06) to work. I did it through 2013-2014, but a key to my setup was buying a header+motor mount kit on Ebay that was built specifically for swaps into a 2nd gen. It really has suited me well for ~25k miles though aside from a few things recently...

If you are doing the swap yourself, one thing to keep in mind is while the truck will be reliable and can even be daily driven, there are some things that will settle/moved over time and require custom maintenance. My latest issue was my stock S10 brake booster eventually failed (because I had to make a dent it in) and I noticed at the same time my #7 plug wire had been rubbing and eventually started arcing there. Upgraded to hydroboost and managed to break my cruise control harness at the same time...

If you enjoy working on cars, the LS swap is for you...if you want something you can drive for another 25 years without touching it might be worth buying a lot of stuff off the shelf. I happen to enjoy working on my cars...:)

Registered
Since my 2.2 X wouldn鈥檛 pull a greasy string out of a cats *** I鈥檝e been seriously considering an ls swap.
But I have zero time. Does anyone do this swap professionally? So professionally that everything works like factory?

Premium Member
After going 'round with Holley, they now have a disclaimer on their site mentioning the problem...you're welcome. They now offer a nice adjustable adapter as well as CPW.
And thanks to you, I bought that adapter and it is in my shop along with all the other stuff... somewhere...

Been there Done it
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's another expense I had because I quit for the winter last year. I bought a number of things, like an oil sender sae to metric adapter, twice. I had forgotten I already had one somewhere. Not the big items, but I now have spares for some of the small stuff.

Registered
1986 S10 LS Swap
You're gonna need a bigger bag. We had a whiteboard full of issues with the Holley/Hooker kit. The most notable being the transmission crossmember. It was a no-go with a 4L60E from a sbc/4.3. They are a bit shorter than an LS version. We spent at least 2 weeks trying to figure out the problem. In the end, @Harley busted out an aluminum adapter on the mill that worked perfect. After going 'round with Holley, they now have a disclaimer on their site mentioning the problem...you're welcome. They now offer a nice adjustable adapter as well as CPW. The list goes on, and on, and on. What ever your budget is...iincrease it by 25%.... 馃槀
I'm glad you pointed out the SBC differences with LS... as they are not the same engine... yet you call out Holley in an LS swap thread(?). Was a complete start to finish LS/4L60E swap with Holley ever on your "whiteboard" in an S10 Gen1 or Gen2 swap? If so, can you share a start to finish thread - not from Holley? I'm in the middle of an LS/4L60E on a Gen1 utilizing Holley components.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

B4U Task Force Admin
I'm not sure what you're getting with the Holley reference. Here's a link to the build thread. Pics of every nut and bolt wasn't taken.

Been there Done it
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If @billreid1 is attempting to defend Holley's products, he's not only barking up the wrong tree, but is in the wrong forest. Nearly everyone on here has had issues with Holley swap components needing mods to work in their particular swap. I could make a list for you.
I will agree they aren't any worse than most other swap parts suppliers. Seems most were designed around one specific test swap and then put on the market without mentioning all the caveats. (A warning of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.)
The first 4l80E crossmember I bought was a joke. When I tried installing it only 2 of the 4 bolt holes lined up on the passengers frame rail. When I called the company they told me that it only needed 2 bolts installed. When I asked why their end plate had 4, but that 2 didn't line up with anything he said I needed to buy their $50 transmission mount. I replied I didn't see how that was going to make the other 2 bolts holes line up with the frame since I hadn't even gotten to the mount yet. That's when he coped an attitude and I hung up.
It was half the price of the Holley one that only needed one hole drilled in it.

Registered
1986 S10 LS Swap
I am not, under ANY circumstances, a nut swinger for Holley. I (my son for his truck) have the Holley motor mounts, Holley pan, and Holley crossmember for an "LS" / 4L60E swap in his 86. Why did I have to put washers between the motor and motor mounts to get the pan off the crossmember? Was Holley assuming I would bust out a die grinder and re-engineer the factory crossmember? ... see Tom Cheek's You Tube vid on his efforts... NOT going there. It isn't necessary. I see a LOT of cross member / frame mods. Why? There is clearly enough room. Holley's bottom (engine) cross member brackets are too short by at least 3/16" with THEIR pan and THEIR mounts! I ask specific questions for specific reasons... and even today... after 3 years Holley's line release of products support Gen1 / Gen 2 swaps NO ONE really likes to share INFORMATION!... on the internet that can build content (discussions / pro's / con's / likes / dislikes / fix this problem) on a forum. HERE is where the rubber meets the road, no? I have stipulated this in another thread asking about 4L60E shift linkage.... which is literally a dead end... even after 3 years of Holley offering their Gen1/2 products... hoping that somebody tried to make a 4L60E work via a column shift / cable on an Gen1 S10 LS/4L60E swap. Response? Go floor shift "the easy way"... really? Holley sent their stuff to market after a couple of 30,000 feet threads of a 6-spd install. Wow, clapping here. There is no follow up / or any feedback threads to my knowledge /searching. Do I/we have a LOT of money into Holley products so far? Yes! Best decision? Not sure by any means. We haven't even bought their headers / or manifolds yet! I WILL tell you later... assuming I still have a membership here. What I will tell you is there is NO way to get the passenger side 3" header collector in place without bashing the **** out of the firewall / foot well...
Can I speak to a 4L80E into a Gen1 S10 using Holley cross member? No. But I have done my own hack (with stock crossmember) in my 06 Turbo Silverado... much easier... but a completely different platform...

Am I making your (or is it my) point regarding your linked vid that has little (some) to do with an LS swap in a Gen1 or Gen2 S10?
Bill

Registered
1986 S10 LS Swap
I'm not sure what you're getting with the Holley reference. Here's a link to the build thread. Pics of every nut and bolt wasn't taken.

A Gen2 build... bunch of pics... gas peddle bracket, nice CAI - the gem of this thread - ? - work for a Gen1?. Taking note of cat placement, oooh pretty intake and valve covers. "Pics of every bolt wasn't taken"? Uh, ya, I'd say so. Not sure why you even infer that. Not looking for an "every bolt" thread... and if anybody is I'm in the group stating they don't belong in swap threads. Is this the best LS/4L60E swap thread on S10 forums? Do you want a Holley (product) - no ** - Gen1 LS/4L60E build thread?

B4U Task Force Admin
I'm not sure what you're looking for. You seem to be all over the place with your comments. It's probably been said more times than anyone can remember...every build is different. If you don't have the skills to make some things work, or have access to someone that does, you'd be better off not trying. My swap has been on the road for 15 months, and thing keep popping up...some small...some larger. Still looking for fixes.

Sorry if you don't approve of my fuel rail covers, or the lack of pics for every bolt. I never inferred (your word) you said that. I was trying to convey that pics of everything, including the nuts and bolts wasn't covered.

Registered
1986 S10 LS Swap
Sorry about ribbing you on the paint... forgot about the horsepower add. LOL Kidding! :)

"... better off not trying" ... great advice from an Admin no less...

time to get cereal
Sorry about ribbing you on the paint... forgot about the horsepower add. LOL Kidding! :)

"... better off not trying" ... great advice from an Admin no less...
The reasons he gave for being "better off not trying" are legit. Do you want a truck you can drive or a pile of parts that resemble a working vehicle? It's not even just skills, make sure you have plenty of extra cash or credit to dip into when things don't go as you planned. A lot of people come on here saying they're in high school and/or work making near minimum wage.

Registered
1986 S10 LS Swap
We will most definitely have a completed truck.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "legit". I would never tell anybody "better off not trying"... regardless their age, income, skills. We all start somewhere. What I would do is warn people on projects that look short term and cheap but are not... try to stay motivated, focused, and have some sort of budget.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts