S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change the axles and hubs over to big six lug by using other truck parts!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've looked into it. Will need to modify the front spindles to an extent to accept the 6 lug bearings.

Rear axle would be redrilling the axles or custom axles.

·
Been there Done it
7,866 Posts
There's got to be adapters. They have them for everything else.

·
Been there Done it
7,866 Posts
Custom axles isn't exactly "using other truck parts", either.
If he's asking can you just swap some other OEM GM parts the answer is NO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What about using a rear axle assembly from a Jeep Wagoneer or maybe an Isuzu Rodeo (not positive about the bolt pattern on that one)?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The rear is the easy part honestly. Whether you find a way to adapt another complete rear or go custom on the axles.

The front will require modifying the spindles to accept and fit the 6 lug hubs. I remember looking at both Silverado and Astro hubs when I had access to GM parts drawings and neither was a direct fit and would have required opening up the bore of the hub opening in the spindle at a minimum.

That doesn't even take into account if the wheel offset is correct for common wheels with the 6 lug bolt pattern.

I don't remember if I dug into swapping complete spindles from another truck, but I'm positive the bigger trucks have bigger ball joints and spindles that are not the same size as the S10.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts