S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change the axles and hubs over to big six lug by using other truck parts!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've looked into it. Will need to modify the front spindles to an extent to accept the 6 lug bearings.

Rear axle would be redrilling the axles or custom axles.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
There's got to be adapters. They have them for everything else.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
Custom axles isn't exactly "using other truck parts", either.
If he's asking can you just swap some other OEM GM parts the answer is NO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What about using a rear axle assembly from a Jeep Wagoneer or maybe an Isuzu Rodeo (not positive about the bolt pattern on that one)?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The rear is the easy part honestly. Whether you find a way to adapt another complete rear or go custom on the axles.

The front will require modifying the spindles to accept and fit the 6 lug hubs. I remember looking at both Silverado and Astro hubs when I had access to GM parts drawings and neither was a direct fit and would have required opening up the bore of the hub opening in the spindle at a minimum.

That doesn't even take into account if the wheel offset is correct for common wheels with the 6 lug bolt pattern.

I don't remember if I dug into swapping complete spindles from another truck, but I'm positive the bigger trucks have bigger ball joints and spindles that are not the same size as the S10.

·
UnderDawg
31 Posts
6 lug 14 bolt out of a chevy heavy half (big 10) put one under my brother colorado 4;56 eaton locker. find a 5 lug 14 bolt out of limousine... heard of them just haven't looked under any limos

·
time to get cereal
3,036 Posts
You can't use Blazer knuckles and fit a newer sealed hub bearing to the front?

4wd

or 2wd

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
The bore diameter of the hub pilot is about a 1/2" bigger on the Astro 6 bolt and I would image the bolt circle of the 3 retaining bolts were be bigger a corresponding amount. The Blazer flange diameter is too small to drill it for GM 6 bolt.
I just looked up 05 Astro figuring it would be closest to Blazer since they do share engines among other things. Full size 1500 seems to be about the same dimensions.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You can't use Blazer knuckles and fit a newer sealed hub bearing to the front?

4wd

or 2wd

My post above was in reference to modifying the Blazer spindles to adapt the newer sealed hubs. Will require machine work and no guarantee the hub surface is located correctly for the common 6 lug wheel offsets.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
When I looked up the dimensions they were close regarding what the spec sheet called flange offset, but after thinking about it that could effect caliper and rotor placement. Almost probably isn't close enough.
Blazer 1.859" vs Astro 1.945" = .0846 difference. I suppose you could make shims depending on the direction.
The calipers, brackets, and bolts are different part numbers between the 2 series.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
What are the common offsets for Chevy 1/2 ton or Astro wheels with the 6 lug? If they're not the same or super similar to the S Trucks having the same dimensions for the hubs is a moot point.

You'd also have to do something different for rotors too, now that you mention brakes. Or redrill rotors. Or... Or...

I think it's a really cool idea. I've started thinking down the path several times, but you'd have to want "6 lugs" desperately to make it happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Export blazers like in Indonesia and Australia are factory 6 lug trucks, if I remember correctly. That may be an avenue to pursue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts