S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 chevy blazer 4.3 4x4 5 speed that I'm doing the 5.7 swap in and I need to know what oil pan I need exactly to clear 4x4 differential case so I can bolt my motor mounts on. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,662 Posts
Moved to V8 Discussion

·
Registered
19 Posts
I been down this road. The oil pan they give you from swap in the box is junk. It leaks and the oil dip stick doesn't go into the pan.

Better off using the stock 5.7 oil pan and heat up pick up tube at the bottom up a little bit and also heat up corner of the oil pan to but an indent itself to allow clearance at the top of the differential carrier.

·
Been there Done it
9,206 Posts
Best way is to build you own pan. If you can weld. Or pay someone $100 to do it. Take an early 4wd S10 4.3 tin pan and your 5.7 car pan and cut them anywhere forward of the deep sump. Weld the 2 halves together. I bolt them to an old block and weld small sections at a time to prevent warping. Get a new 4.3 4wd pump pickup to install into your V8 pump. They are available in 5/8 and 3/4 so it doesn't matter what year the pump is. If the guy at the parts counter can't find either size tell him to keep looking because I know they are available. Just be sure it's the deep sump (4WD) pickup.
On one of my pans I had a small leak at the weld line from a pinhole. Stuck some JB Weld on it. The pan isn't under pressure and the oil doesn't sit at the weld line. Never had so much as a drop come out afterwards.
You will have to redrill a couple of the bolt holes on one part of the pan, but if you use the stock V8 reinforcing rails as a guide it's no biggie. The leftover old V6 holes are outside the gasket and covered by the V8 rails. It's only like 3 per side.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
30 Posts
Best way is to build you own pan. If you can weld. Or pay someone $100 to do it. Take an early 4wd S10 4.3 tin pan and your 5.7 car pan and cut them anywhere forward of the deep sump. Weld the 2 halves together. I bolt them to an old block and weld small sections at a time to prevent warping. Get a new 4.3 4wd pump pickup to install into your V8 pump. They are available in 5/8 and 3/4 so it doesn't matter what year the pump is. If the guy at the parts counter can't find either size tell him to keep looking because I know they are available. Just be sure it's the deep sump (4WD) pickup.
On one of my pans I had a small leak at the weld line from a pinhole. Stuck some JB Weld on it. The pan isn't under pressure and the oil doesn't sit at the weld line. Never had so much as a drop come out afterwards.
You will have to redrill a couple of the bolt holes on one part of the pan, but if you use the stock V8 reinforcing rails as a guide it's no biggie. The leftover old V6 holes are outside the gasket and covered by the V8 rails. It's only like 3 per side.
Can you give me some input on my recent post in the v8 section? I need your knowledge please lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts