S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lifted User
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 s10 4x4 that I'm thinkin bout puttin a new engine into? I was just wonderin if anyone has ever put a Cadillac Northstar engine into a 10? My cousin has a 1994 Fleetwood that gets 25/26mpg. If you've never seen one of these cars, It's a land ychat.

I am just trying to find out how hard it would be to swap in one of these engines into a 4x4, b/c I think it would have to get at least 25 mpg in a light little S10?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
first off its not a 5.7, 2nd, prepare to drain ur savings account, everything on that truck will have to be custom. harness, motor mounts, trans, everything.
if u want gas mileage to a LSx/T56 swap, much easier, much cheaper, and my boss is getting 30 mpg in his 04 Z06

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
I'd like to see a northstar done. DOHC engine. I've seen one in an F-body.
i would too. if i had the money i know where a RWD Northstar is sitting, i would love to buy it, build it a little and put it in my 91

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
what rwd northstar are u talking about? i thought it was strictly a fwd setup..... there was a guy in Truckin' i think that spent over 20k making a northstar work in a silverado.... a waste imo

·
Lifted User
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be wrong. The engine that I'm thinkin bout is out of a 94 Fleetwood. The car is all stock, and it has northstar badges on it. If anyone knows what the engine in his car really is, then tell me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
truth that junkstar my freind has already been traped into one before. ls1 t56 is the way to go or 2barrel carb on a 305 but who wants that haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
That motor in the fleetwood is a iron head lt1 5.7. That car is a caprice with caddy emblems and leather seats.

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
kind of a waste..... the iron head motor didnt have lots of goodies that f-bodies or vettes had, plus, its less power... does it have a clutch fan on it? if so, its the heavy duty motor

·
Registered
112 Posts
actually they are pretty good if you have the cop motor 9c1 i belive. they have a real torquey cam and opull on the highway pretty good for hot pursuits haha. i think it would be worth putting into your truck even if you would have to carb it like ive seen with a couple of fbodys around here. ive also heard that the caprice lt1s heads outflow the f body heads not sure just thought you might want to research peace

·
Registered
32 Posts
5.7L LT1 as stated above.

Caprice, cop caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood engines are all the same

Make sure it says "5.7" on it as 4.3 liter "baby" LT1's look identical from the outside (fleetwoods did not come w/ 4.3's but you never know if someone swapped one in)

B-Body vs F-Body LT1's are about the same. Different heads, cam, tune, accessories are the only differences...so alum heads can be swapped on no problem but i doubt you could tell the difference driving a iron head vs alum head lt1

if you do this, i would go ahead and change out the optispark while its out

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i rememeber reading something about the iorn heads out performing the alum heads also.

just go talk to a cadilac tech and seewhat he/she says about the northstar. everyone i have talked to hates them and dodges them when they come in. the joke goes-you do not stop to fill up with gas, you check you gas and fill up with oil. they leak from every gasket they have.

·
Y would you wanna do that
187 Posts
yea northstars=mechanics nightmare hes right bout the dodges everyone runs to the bathroom just after they pull up, lol.. i will not work on a northstar and they're notorious about blowing the head gaskets(not a fun job at all) and overheating. i think satin designed the engine. all in all it is peppy and gets good milage but not worth the work in my opion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts