S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok and YES i searched. Well i know i wont be happy with a 5/6 as i want tog o low as possible without bagging it. but i need to know some things i couldnt find with the search button. Here it goes. When i go from a ZQ8 with a 2/3 drop to a 5/6 drop all i will need is 3 inch coils up front and 3 inch leafe out back right? Also What about common driving. This will be my daily driver and i live in cetral illinois where we get SOME snow. Sometimes alot sometimes not but enough to cause a problem. Also i have a pretty mean driveway. Could this be healed just by going slow and as angled as possible? and last but not least how about a oil change? Would i have a problem getting over the bay or anything? A vette is about the same height as a 5/6 drop im thinking so do you think it would be a problem? Also what about shocks? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Banned
17,375 Posts
I have a 5/7 and you must go up curbs and crap like that at an angle, unless you like to scrape (which i do sometimes :))
and to change the oil i was able to drive up over the bay, just barely cleared it. since then i decided i should just change the oil myself, but i gotta drive up on some wood blocks cuz teh jack will not fit under my truck.
and for the shocks since i didnt have a zq8 i bought used shocks from a zq8 and they work fine

·
Its comin along
880 Posts
I dont have snow where I am but I couldnt imagine driving through snow with a 5/6. I cannot get into any oil change bays unless they let me drive onto peices of wood. I love my 5/6 drop and will only change it for bags. But keep in mind that I live in Florida, so I dont know how roads are by you.

If you need to goto a oil change place, bring some peices of 2x4 wood and ask them if they'll let you drive onto em. Maybe even tip the guy that helps you, that way when you go back he'll know you and help you out. Good luck!

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
ZQ8 from factory has 1.5" drop springs and .5" drop in tire size.
Assuming you haven't changed tire size...
Front:
If you install just 2" spindles you will have a 4" drop.
If you install just 3" coils you will have a 3.5" drop.
If you install both 2" spindles and 3" coils you will have a 5.5" drop.
Rear:
If you install just 3" blocks you will have a 3.5" drop.
If you install just 3" leafs you will have a 3.5" drop.
If you install both 3" blocks and 3" leafs you will have a 6.5" drop.

Last winter I had a 3/4 drop and I was fine. This winter I will have a 4/4 drop, so I will see if I can plow snow with the bumper. Where are you from? I live in Towanda, just outside of Bloomington/Normal.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in springfield. I get my oil changed now at a GMC dealership and they know me pretty good and every 3 months ask me something different about my truck. They are pretty cool with me. The first time i lowered my truck i brought it to them to see if i could clear the ramps and they said yea no problem and it did. So ill go ahead and do the same thing this time.

·
$$Broke Ass Minitruckr$$
548 Posts
I ahve a 5/6 drop for a daily driver and 255/50 tires and i live in canada and lately we have been getting 6-10 inches a nite. I drive to school evryday in my 1999 s-10 xcab stepside wit hthe 4.3! I ahve stock zq8 shocks. to lower it i used 3" coils for a 4 banger and drop spindles so u mite say mine is like a 6.5-6! I kept the original zq8 shocks the truck has 42k miles on it! The ride is the roughest of any vehicle i have ever known. It scrapes everywhere i go and i cant drive in the ruts with the snow on the roads cause the bubbles of snow inbetween the ruts could very likely rip off my exhaust and shit! Speed bumps are not dooable and neither are some steep curbs! But I drive a minitruck not a flippin cadillac i kenw the ride would be bad getting to it! I did it for the looks and just the sheerness of having the lowest truck in my town!!!:phil:

·
Squid Life
1,774 Posts
Edit: nevermind

·
Squid Life
1,774 Posts
Didn't read what I was responding to properly and didn't wanna look like a dick....so instead I look like a retard, but whatever.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea the most snow we would ever get i think is like 10-15 inches the whole winter!!! we never get alot of snow at a time. maybe a fluke blizzard every once in awhile. but nothing that will be cleared off the roads by the morning. I know the ride will suck but eh o well i could care less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts