S-10 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Managed to get the 2002 LM7 today via R&L carrier...super happy to see it arrive. Some might think I should have bought the truck first....those people are probably correct 🤣 But, none the less I was happy to see that it had the 706 heads and the 411 PCM. Don't plan on doing anything crazy, just want something with a bit more power then the 4.3.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Some might think I should have bought the truck first....those people are probably correct 🤣
Six of one, half dozen of another. Not crazy at all. I got my motor before I found the truck. There's plenty to keep you busy on that 5.3. All I did was new gaskets and swap pan, but I still spent a couple weeks just dorking around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Six of one, half dozen of another. Not crazy at all. I got my motor before I found the truck. There's plenty to keep you busy on that 5.3. All I did was new gaskets and swap pan, but I still spent a couple weeks just dorking around.
I am at the end of a whole home remodel...left is the master bath. I really want to get started on that this coming weekend so my wife doesn't yell at me for spending time on this engine. But, I have to agree. I am doing to do the same. All new gaskets...I might be keeping the pan and have it modified for the front diff (imaginative 4x4 I don't have). I like that the drain plug is in the rear middle of the pan and not on either side. I've seen a few people who've used a different pan, maybe H3, and the drain plug was right over the front diff. Talk about a mess. I'd like to try and use what I have on hand. I guess it'll depend on how much it'll cost to get the aluminum pan welded up.

·
Randy
452 Posts
Managed to get the 2002 LM7 today via R&L carrier...super happy to see it arrive. Some might think I should have bought the truck first....those people are probably correct 🤣 But, none the less I was happy to see that it had the 706 heads and the 411 PCM. Don't plan on doing anything crazy, just want something with a bit more power then the 4.3. View attachment 346241 View attachment 346242
Yep, doesn't matter when you buy a motor. The deals are there when they are there. snooze ya loose, some say.
I went a whole different direction, because an Aluminum short block fell in my lap for $200...

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I am at the end of a whole home remodel...left is the master bath. I really want to get started on that this coming weekend so my wife doesn't yell at me for spending time on this engine. But, I have to agree. I am doing to do the same. All new gaskets...I might be keeping the pan and have it modified for the front diff (imaginative 4x4 I don't have). I like that the drain plug is in the rear middle of the pan and not on either side. I've seen a few people who've used a different pan, maybe H3, and the drain plug was right over the front diff. Talk about a mess. I'd like to try and use what I have on hand. I guess it'll depend on how much it'll cost to get the aluminum pan welded up.
If you end up with the ZR2 @greencactus3 did a swap in his ZR2 that was really well done. He modified the stock truck pan and used factory Trailblazer/Envoy manifolds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
So what happened with the truck? Plenty to do to the motor before u even get to swapping the pan, just in case you don’t end up with a 4x4.
So, the negotiations are on going. It has 153k miles on it, sun peal on the paint, missing arm rest in the middle center console and a few other minor issues, nothing serious. He is asking $5,900 and I am trying to get him to come off that price. I feel that price is a bit steep. If I am going to pay nearly 6k for a truck that I am going to swap...I'd just pay an additional 3k to @greencactus3 for his blazer and not have to worry about all the struggles I'll be coming across doing this swap myself. I guess thats how I see it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So, the negotiations are on going. It has 153k miles on it, sun peal on the paint, missing arm rest in the middle center console and a few other minor issues, nothing serious. He is asking $5,900 and I am trying to get him to come off that price. I feel that price is a bit steep. If I am going to pay nearly 6k for a truck that I am going to swap...I'd just pay an additional 3k to @greencactus3 for his blazer and not have to worry about all the struggles I'll be coming across doing this swap myself. I guess thats how I see it.
Show them what you can get for $9k to help the negotiations. It sounds more like a $3-4k truck to me (or less considering paint wear). If there's a bunch of minor issues I'd wager there are more to be found soon after you buy it too. Stuff like that is from neglect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Show them what you can get for $9k to help the negotiations. It sounds more like a $3-4k truck to me (or less considering paint wear). If there's a bunch of minor issues I'd wager there are more to be found soon after you buy it too. Stuff like that is from neglect.
Yea, I'd have to agree @Harley , I sent him a snap shot of the Kelly Blue Book value showing the value around 4,400...now I know you can't just go off of one place for values....but I can't imagine they are all off by +/-2k at this level. I even told him I was willing to go all the way to 5k for the truck. He just won't budge....soooooo I'll keep looking and waiting. I am in no rush to just jump on something. So spread the word :ROFLMAO: I am willing to travel in the southwest area for a good deal. In the meantime, I'll finish the master bath remodel and get to taking the heads off and the oil pan off to see what I am up against with this engine.

·
Super Moderator
20,555 Posts
I saw the ZR2 in the ad, wasn't high enough for me to buy but it's not too bad. Just since ZR2 isn't as common as it used to be.

@brandonhalls10, I completely understand the work involved in the S10 when you could've done another vehicle
Yea, I'd have to agree @Harley , I sent him a snap shot of the Kelly Blue Book value showing the value around 4,400...now I know you can't just go off of one place for values....but I can't imagine they are all off by +/-2k at this level. I even told him I was willing to go all the way to 5k for the truck. He just won't budge....soooooo I'll keep looking and waiting. I am in no rush to just jump on something. So spread the word :ROFLMAO: I am willing to travel in the southwest area for a good deal. In the meantime, I'll finish the master bath remodel and get to taking the heads off and the oil pan off to see what I am up against with this engine.
I saw that ad as well, thought it was a bit high but ZR2 aren't as common as it used to be. Though with current market, I won't be surprised if it gets sold to his asking price within few weeks. I travel a bit, so if you want to extend the search. I'd be happy to travel and drive the ZR2 home. CA/OR/WA/UT/CO/NM, I'll do further as long ZR2 isn't rusted from salt belt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
What are you looking for in particular? 4x4? ZR2? Extended cab?
Yep, I am looking for a extended cab ZR2 4x4. There are a lot of trails here in Arizona that are 4x4 capable. My brother has a Toyota 4runner that he's lifted a smidge and put larger tires on, he's been begging me to buy a 4x4 so we can take it out into the desert. Which sounds like a blast....so I am trying to find a ZR2. I've wanted one since they were introduce back in the early 2000's

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I saw the ZR2 in the ad, wasn't high enough for me to buy but it's not too bad. Just since ZR2 isn't as common as it used to be.

@brandonhalls10, I completely understand the work involved in the S10 when you could've done another vehicle

I saw that ad as well, thought it was a bit high but ZR2 aren't as common as it used to be. Though with current market, I won't be surprised if it gets sold to his asking price within few weeks. I travel a bit, so if you want to extend the search. I'd be happy to travel and drive the ZR2 home. CA/OR/WA/UT/CO/NM, I'll do further as long ZR2 isn't rusted from salt belt.
Yea, that truck has been on Craigslist now for nearly a month. I thought by now he'd be willing to come down. I am willing to pay more, but the truck would have to be in stellar condition. So anyways, I am expanding my search. I, too, am willing to travel. But I too do not want a rust bucket. Which is what we'd probably get the further north we go in finding a truck.

But, thank you @Harley I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Post the link so we can all bomb him with low ball offers. Maybe that will make him come down.

I kid... :)
You know @BrandonHall10, it came to mind to ask you guys of this. HAHAHAHA! I'm not kidding.

I found this one in Denver this morning....I'd have to fly and drive 12.5hrs home with a truck that has 247k on it. Doesn't bother me to much, but none the less. $2950 is a lot more fair of a price when I am pulling the engine anyways.

Here's the one that's roughly 5-10 miles down the street from me that won't come off the $5900

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Road trip! There’s probably enough of us along the way if you happened to break down and need a hand lol
I was thinking the same. I have a txt message out to the owner to see if its still available. I just checked flights out of phoenix into Denver....a whooping $33 one way on Frontier! I'd be on the next flight out there. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,799 Posts
If you end up with the ZR2 @greencactus3 did a swap in his ZR2 that was really well done. He modified the stock truck pan and used factory Trailblazer/Envoy manifolds.

actually i modified the H3 pan on this blazer's swap.
the longbed 5.3 swap i modified the stock truck pan
maybe ill consider s10forum discounts!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
actually i modified the H3 pan on this blazer's swap.
the longbed 5.3 swap i modified the stock truck pan

maybe ill consider s10forum discounts!
Wasn't there a guy that joined this forum just to buy your truck? I assume that didn't happen?

I am taking a road trip Saturday morning. I am buying that ZR2 in Denver and driving it back to Phoenix.....I sure hope the 247k engine has enough in it for another 800 mile trip.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts