S-10 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You can use the 4.3 trans with a 5.3, but will require a spacer (GM used a spacer with the 4L80 trans that works for this) and modifying the torque converter bolt pattern.

If you don't need longetivity out of the 4.3 powertrain it might be easier to pick up an LS compatible transmission core and have the work done to it. Or get a trans with your engine donor. That will make the swap more bolt together with less modified parts. I've done it both ways for good reasons and that's my take.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
You can use the 4.3 trans with a 5.3, but will require a spacer (GM used a spacer with the 4L80 trans that works for this) and modifying the torque converter bolt pattern.

If you don't need longetivity out of the 4.3 powertrain it might be easier to pick up an LS compatible transmission core and have the work done to it. Or get a trans with your engine donor. That will make the swap more bolt together with less modified parts. I've done it both ways for good reasons and that's my take.
I got the engine for a really good deal. It didn’t come with the tranny. So, I figured I’d use the one I have.

I already ordered the spacer. Just waiting on that to arrive. Not that it matters I am not ready for it. But I have it waiting none the less. Figured I have a tranny, might as well use it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
hello everyone......its been awhile since I've posted an update. Quick recap. @Tranzman I contacted @BrandonHall10 and he hooked me up with a rebuilt transmission. Thank you, both for the advice as I have proceeded through this process!!! its certainly appreciated. I picked that up 2 weekends ago. Man, times flies. Now, I have been test fitting the engine into the engine bay....upon doing so, needed new exhaust manifolds....kind of figured I would. Ended up order new Dorman manifold for the V8 Trailblazer. Next, I realized I will in fact need a new oil pan...the truck pan is soooooo close to fitting, but not well enough. I ordered the Milodon 31083'ish pan. Now, my question is....the oil level sensor.....what is everyone doing about that? Are they ordering a M20-1.5 weldable bung? or are they programming it out so that ECM doesn't look at it? I believe the Milodon pan is steel and the oil bung is Aluminum. Is it even possible to weld those two together? I have a welder...just not sure how to proceed. Any advice?

·
Old Fart
4,331 Posts
hello everyone......its been awhile since I've posted an update. Quick recap. @Tranzman I contacted @BrandonHall10 and he hooked me up with a rebuilt transmission. Thank you, both for the advice as I have proceeded through this process!!! its certainly appreciated. I picked that up 2 weekends ago. Man, times flies. Now, I have been test fitting the engine into the engine bay....upon doing so, needed new exhaust manifolds....kind of figured I would. Ended up order new Dorman manifold for the V8 Trailblazer. Next, I realized I will in fact need a new oil pan...the truck pan is soooooo close to fitting, but not well enough. I ordered the Milodon 31083'ish pan. Now, my question is....the oil level sensor.....what is everyone doing about that? Are they ordering a M20-1.5 weldable bung? or are they programming it out so that ECM doesn't look at it? I believe the Milodon pan is steel and the oil bung is Aluminum. Is it even possible to weld those two together? I have a welder...just not sure how to proceed. Any advice?

Does no one make a steel bung? Maybe call Milodon and ask if they have a solution.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Does no one make a steel bung? Maybe call Milodon and ask if they have a solution.
Your guess is as good as mine.....I searched for a few hours this afternoon. Best I could find was buying a stainless steel M20-1.5 nut. Using a step drill to the diameter I need, weld one on. This pan is popular and the LS engine uses this sensor for "Low oil" signal. I guess this begs the question. Will the truck run without this sensor connected and the MIL turned off.

I'll call Milodon tomorrow. But, I swear that @greencactus3 used this same pan on his build. But, I can't find his build page. I haven't reached out to him yet neither...but hopefully this post will reach out to him to see what he has done.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,396 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine.....I searched for a few hours this afternoon. Best I could find was buying a stainless steel M20-1.5 nut. Using a step drill to the diameter I need, weld one on. This pan is popular and the LS engine uses this sensor for "Low oil" signal. I guess this begs the question. Will the truck run without this sensor connected and the MIL turned off.

I'll call Milodon tomorrow. But, I swear that @greencactus3 used this same pan on his build. But, I can't find his build page. I haven't reached out to him yet neither...but hopefully this post will reach out to him to see what he has done.
Is an O2 bung big enough?

·
Randy
481 Posts
O2 bungs are 18x1.25mm

Reactions: hollywood3044

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

@greencactus3 modified a truck pan based on some CAD files I put together.

The oil level sensor isn't tied into anything other than the Driver Information Center on the full size trucks. Your S10 doesn't have that in the stock gauge cluster, so it really does nothing to leave it out nor do you have to make any changes in the tune to eliminate it - there will be no MIL. It's a luxury feature and unnecessary to the basic function of the engine. It's handy on my Silverado, which goes 8-10k between oil changes, but burns/leaks enough to need more. A nice reminder when I'm forgetful and neglectful of the workhorse. My 5.3 swapped Blazer does without it and I'm often changing the oil due to how long it's been in there rather than the miles I'm putting on it, as of late.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
@greencactus3 modified a truck pan based on some CAD files I put together.

The oil level sensor isn't tied into anything other than the Driver Information Center on the full size trucks. Your S10 doesn't have that in the stock gauge cluster, so it really does nothing to leave it out nor do you have to make any changes in the tune to eliminate it - there will be no MIL. It's a luxury feature and unnecessary to the basic function of the engine. It's handy on my Silverado, which goes 8-10k between oil changes, but burns/leaks enough to need more. A nice reminder when I'm forgetful and neglectful of the workhorse. My 5.3 swapped Blazer does without it and I'm often changing the oil due to how long it's been in there rather than the miles I'm putting on it, as of late.
Thats kind of what I was thinking as well. But wasn't sure. Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
ok, so, onto the next issue. Steering shaft.....huge problem While test fitting the engine into the engine bay with the new Trailblazer V8 manifolds.....the passenger side is perfect. The drivers side would be great if I could connect the steering shaft....I am not sure any steering shaft will work with this manifold. Back to the drawing board. :mad::mad:

·
Randy
481 Posts
now that I see that picture. It makes me glad I chose the Holley system

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,396 Posts
has anyone ever thought about one of these? Pros? Cons?

The Holley shafts come with one as a replacement for the rag joint. You'd still need an intermediate joint part way down the shaft. Not sure how much room there is on the frame to put a bracket for one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
The Holley shafts come with one as a replacement for the rag joint. You'd still need an intermediate joint part way down the shaft. Not sure how much room there is on the frame to put a bracket for one.
I ordered both the Holly steering shaft and the Hooker blackheart headers yesterday. Should get them here shortly, according to Summit. I am going to give those manifolds a shot with the Holley steering shaft. If not, I might have to go with this double steering joint idea.

201 - 220 of 242 Posts