S-10 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 277 Posts

·
time to get cereal
5,076 Posts
Do people still want 2.2s? I'm getting an entire engine/transaxle from a Cavalier with all accessories for $150 delivered.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
5k seems crazy when u gonna swap it, I’m gonna start looking here in Cali lol
no, I agree fully. But I just came across this ZR2 that is only 200 miles away...thankfully...no major road trip planned for this one. Price isn't terrible...might be able to get the owner down $500 or so. We'll see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
So, I am hoping someone can help me answer a few questions. I took the truck into our state emissions testing center and it was rejected because the computer was not in a "ready" state. So, a couple of things could have happened....the computer was reset before I bought it to hide the SES light and issues. OR I hooked up HP Tuners to it the day I bought it, and then again yesterday to download the computer system in preparation for updating it to the 5.3. Is it possible me messing around with HP Tuners put it back into this state?

When I bought the truck I drove it probably 15 miles from where I bought it home, I've not see the SES light on at all. It comes one initially when the truck starts, but goes away. But the Catalyst system and EVAP system is in "Not Ready" state". I have to keep driving it today on city streets in hopes that those systems to go into "Ready" state.

Does anyone know what things "could" be turned on in the computer to get those systems in the "not ready" state??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I don't think just reading a PCM will reset the monitors. Writing a calibration does though.

Are you going to use (and therefore license) that PCM for your swap? If yes, just set those codes to "No report" and retest.
Hey Brandon - I was just reading up on that notion. But yes, I am using this PCM and licensing it for my swap. I don't have any codes at this time....but I believe I know what your talking about. The only one I am looking at in the list that I can't seem to set is the EVAP system one....not sure which one to set for that one...Plus, I feel I made a mistake by filling up the truck to Full. I don't believe the EVAP will purge until its at least 85% full.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Should be like P0440 through P0453.

Just like Metallica... Kill 'Em All.

Then use VCM scanner to check the monitors. The boxes should all be shaded light blue and show "Unsupported"

-Edit:
Save your original calibration (as "Stock" or something like that) and make it read only. Then make your changes and save as "Inspection" or something like that.

-Double Edit:
This is only to get through testing the first time so you can transfer the title. I do not condone or endorse driving a vehicle on public highways that has not "properly" passed emissions inspections. I personally would never do anything like that.

·
Old Fart
4,350 Posts
Hey Brandon - I was just reading up on that notion. But yes, I am using this PCM and licensing it for my swap. I don't have any codes at this time....but I believe I know what you're talking about. The only one I am looking at in the list that I can't seem to set is the EVAP system one....not sure which one to set for that one...Plus, I feel I made a mistake by filling up the truck to Full. I don't believe the EVAP will purge until it's at least 85% full.
They make announcements on TV here that anytime you make repairs or do a scan that you have to drive the vehicle for a week or so to get to the ready state before emissions testing. I guess too many people are taking their vehicles right to the test stations right afterward and failing thus wasting their and the test station's time, thus the TV spots.

Reactions: hollywood3044

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Should be like P0440 through P0453.

Just like Metallica... Kill 'Em All.

Then use VCM scanner to check the monitors. The boxes should all be shaded light blue and show "Unsupported"

-Edit:
Save your original calibration (as "Stock" or something like that) and make it read only. Then make your changes and save as "Inspection" or something like that.

-Double Edit:
This is only to get through testing the first time so you can transfer the title. I do not condone or endorse driving a vehicle on public highways that has not "properly" passed emissions inspections. I personally would never do anything like that.
Yep, I get it fully and I am not going to do this. ;) I am going to drive it around a lot today to push the system into Ready mode.
They make announcements on TV here that anytime you make repairs or do a scan that you have to drive the vehicle for a week or so to get to the ready state before emissions testing. I guess too many people are taking their vehicles right to the test stations right afterward and failing thus wasting their and the test station's time, thus the TV spots.
Sadly, I do agree. I am one of those people. Although, to my defense. I didn't do any repairs to the truck. I just got it Friday night (did fill it up because I drove home on fumes) and haven't driven it until this morning. But, I didn't know that scanning it will cause it push the computer back into "not ready" state.

·
Old Fart
4,350 Posts
Yep, I get it fully and I am not going to do this. ;) I am going to drive it around a lot today to push the system into Ready mode.

Sadly, I do agree. I am one of those people. Although, to my defense. I didn't do any repairs to the truck. I just got it Friday night (did fill it up because I drove home on fumes) and haven't driven it until this morning. But, I didn't know that scanning it will cause it push the computer back into "not ready" state.
Yes, that will do it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Man, I am having one h*ll of a dilemma. The truck has 203k miles on it. I took it out yesterday to run some errands. I noticed when the truck is warm that its starting to slip in the tranny. Which isn't a big deal. I am planning to rebuild the tranny anyways...well, have someone else rebuild it. I am not in the mood for that job 🤣 So, What has everyone done? I have read some threads on there that some guys have use perfomabuilt tranny's with great success (Around $3k, but I don't need hard core). Then I have a local shop called AAMCO, which is nation wide and offers warranties up to 3 years if they do the work!

So, I either buy a tranny and install it when I do the engine swap with no warranty. ($3k'ish option for 4x4 extreme) Performabuilt Transmissions | The Strongest Rebuilt Transmissions

Take the tranny to AAMCO or another local shop in the middle of my swap and they rebuild it with little to no warranty ($2k'ish option)

Or do the swap with the tranny as it is. When completed, take it to AAMCO (or Local) for them to do the rebuild and get a warranty. ($3k option) AAMCO Transmission and Total Car Care

What does everyone do in these situations....could I be missing a thought?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,637 Posts
Stay away from AAMCO and Monster Transmissions.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Randy
527 Posts
Man, I am having one h*ll of a dilemma. The truck has 203k miles on it. I took it out yesterday to run some errands. I noticed when the truck is warm that its starting to slip in the tranny. Which isn't a big deal. I am planning to rebuild the tranny anyways...well, have someone else rebuild it. I am not in the mood for that job 🤣 So, What has everyone done? I have read some threads on there that some guys have use perfomabuilt tranny's with great success (Around $3k, but I don't need hard core). Then I have a local shop called AAMCO, which is nation wide and offers warranties up to 3 years if they do the work!

So, I either buy a tranny and install it when I do the engine swap with no warranty. ($3k'ish option for 4x4 extreme) Performabuilt Transmissions | The Strongest Rebuilt Transmissions

Take the tranny to AAMCO or another local shop in the middle of my swap and they rebuild it with little to no warranty ($2k'ish option)

Or do the swap with the tranny as it is. When completed, take it to AAMCO (or Local) for them to do the rebuild and get a warranty. ($3k option) AAMCO Transmission and Total Car Care

What does everyone do in these situations....could I be missing a thought?
Where exactly are you? I have a friend in Phoenix that can bench a transmission for you if needed...

Reactions: hollywood3044

·
Randy
527 Posts
Reactions: BrandonHall10
181 - 200 of 277 Posts