S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my son turns 16 in a year and a half and I have always wanted to drop a 5.3 or LSX into an S10. With Arizona having emissions testing....#1 Would they even look at my truck with a different engine in it? #2 Is it possible to get the LSX swap to pass emissions?

Holla to my AZ peeps.....anyone done this here?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,098 Posts
Keep the emission equipment the engine came with, or equivalent and you should be fine. I don't have emissions anymore, but I'm sure it would pass. Best thing to do is stop by the emission testing station and see what they say.

Reactions: Jaboc33

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep the emission equipment the engine came with, or equivalent and you should be fine. I don't have emissions anymore, but I'm sure it would pass. Best thing to do is stop by the emission testing station and see what they say.
I was doing some reading and searching online and came across this link where they are saying that its nearly impossible to get it passed. They are looking at VIN's matching computers and chassis. Although, I am not sure what the VIN has to do with emissons...as long as the exhaust output is clean and up to standard....why does it matter?

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
When you swap an LS into an S10 you'll only have one DLC. The one that came in the truck. Unless you try using a stand alone harness in an early truck.

Reactions: David Adamson

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you swap an LS into an S10 you'll only have one DLC. The one that came in the truck. Unless you try using a stand alone harness in an early truck.
Have you heard if they are plugging into the DLC (ODB2) to read whether the VINs match?
That does make sense. I am looking for a 2000 S-10 and around a 2004 5.3 to drop in it. I was going to use CPW "plug and play" wire harness. So, what your saying is that as long as I keep everything on the engine, EGR, MAP sensor and all that jazz. That connecting the ODB2 connector in the S-10 to the CPW harness and the donor computer that I shouldn't have an issue with passing emissions in Arizona? Theoretically speaking....

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
None of the replies so far have been from AZ residents, but typically states are looking for equivalent emissions and equipment to the truck/VIN you are trying to get registered. Fortunately the LS engines are overall compatible with S10s and can tie into your original EVAP system without much extra effort. Add in Cats to the exhaust with rear O2 sensors and you should have everything operational as the state will want to see it.

Also the VIN of the computer can typically be matched to your truck by a tuner with the right tools.

The LS engines are pretty good about emissions and should pass with the S10 numbers.

But again this isn't a reply from an AZ resident haha I've done a bit of reading of the Oregon laws and other sources to make sure my Blazer passes once I go through the process, but I also had 2 other non swapped cars to practice with and get a feeling for how they approach it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of the replies so far have been from AZ residents, but typically states are looking for equivalent emissions and equipment to the truck/VIN you are trying to get registered. Fortunately the LS engines are overall compatible with S10s and can tie into your original EVAP system without much extra effort. Add in Cats to the exhaust with rear O2 sensors and you should have everything operational as the state will want to see it.

Also the VIN of the computer can typically be matched to your truck by a tuner with the right tools.

The LS engines are pretty good about emissions and should pass with the S10 numbers.

But again this isn't a reply from an AZ resident haha I've done a bit of reading of the Oregon laws and other sources to make sure my Blazer passes once I go through the process, but I also had 2 other non swapped cars to practice with and get a feeling for how they approach it.
I have read quite a few of your posts, Harley. You are a well respected individual here, at least it seems like it. So, I appreciate your words of wisdom!! I'll dig deeper and chat with the state emissions inspectors on this topic. Just like to know the answer before I drop all this time and money on this project.

I, honestly, can't see how they would outlaw engine swaps as long as the emissions coming out of the tail pipe are stock numbers or better for that OE engine. If they did I would chalk that up to naïve and ignorant polictians and law makers. But, who am I.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Arizona is NOT hard to get a properly done swap vehicle slogged.
Here in Las Vegas they are so full of 💩 .I have had 5 v8 swapped s10s that comply with emissions however, the clause here is if the vehicle was NOT optioned with a v8 it cannot have one installed...
Federal Law states, the intended engine HAS to be the same year or NEWER than the vehicle ot is to be placed in AND the engine must retain all emission devices that it came with.....
I continuously jump through hoops to get my s10s smogged!!!!
JTR(Mike Knell) made a strong living by swapping s10s, Datsun, Jag etc. In the worst commy state(California) for 30 years and they all pass emissions go figure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I, honestly, can't see how they would outlaw engine swaps as long as the emissions coming out of the tail pipe are stock numbers or better for that OE engine.
I'm not familiar with Arizona but, here in California, they don't even probe the tailpipe on vehicles that are 2000 or newer. The entire test is done through the OBD2 system (plus visual inspection, obviously).

That said, an LS swap CAN be done legally here, but the donor vehicle has to be the same year or newer than the recipient, and in the same weight class (no heavy-duty truck engines in cars, for example). The vehicle must have all emissions equipment for the engine being installed.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to find any information online regarding laws in Arizona. Maybe you can call the Department of Environmental Quality?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, my son turns 16 in a year and a half and I have always wanted to drop a 5.3 or LSX into an S10. With Arizona having emissions testing....#1 Would they even look at my truck with a different engine in it? #2 Is it possible to get the LSX swap to pass emissions?

Holla to my AZ peeps.....anyone done this here?
I swapped a new ATK built 460 HP 6.0 into my 2000 ZR2 Blazer and used all new corvette emissions equipment. I had headers custom built. Then put a single 4 inch custom exhaust system routed through a catalytic converter. I used California standards as a basis which would allow me to register my Blazer in any state. Besides... I wanted a sleeper that looked factory built and purred like a kitten. Good luck with your build... Its time consuming and lots of fun. Just don't slap some used engine under the hood that you bought from a junkyard. Take your time and do it right. Best of luck with your build.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,098 Posts
Just don't slap some used engine under the hood that you bought from a junkyard. Take your time and do it right. Best of luck with your build.
Not all j/y engine s junk. Mine runs great.

Reactions: Jaboc33

·
always something new
54,635 Posts
in Cali you can't run a single converter on a V8 , unless the vehicle you say motor came from had a single ....i don't know of a single V8 that came with only one...but then i been wrong before

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not all j/y engine s junk. Mine runs great.
You are absolutely correct. I know some folks who just bought a motor from a wrecked vehicle at a junkyard that had 200,000 miles on it and put it in their S10 without doing anything to the motor. My point was get a motor and spend some time doing it right. I'm sure your build looks and runs great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
in Cali you can't run a single converter on a V8 , unless the vehicle you say motor came from had a single ....i don't know of a single V8 that came with only one...but then i been wrong before
If you run a dual exhaust system you need two converters to meet emissions standards. If you have a single exhaust you only need one. If you have a V6 and dual exhaust... guess what... two converters... Do you think because a vehicle is a V8 and has a single exhaust that two in-line converters are required??? Why not add two mufflers because its a V8... because that would be kind of silly.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,098 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I know some folks who just bought a motor from a wrecked vehicle at a junkyard that had 200,000 miles on it and put it in their S10 without doing anything to the motor. My point was get a motor and spend some time doing it right. I'm sure your build looks and runs great.
Just for reference...L33

·
always something new
54,635 Posts
If you run a dual exhaust system you need two converters to meet emissions standards. If you have a single exhaust you only need one. If you have a V6 and dual exhaust... guess what... two converters... Do you think because a vehicle is a V8 and has a single exhaust that two in-line converters are required??? Why not add two mufflers because its a V8... because that would be kind of silly.
the 01 Silverado i got my 5.3 out of was 'single exhausr and had '2' converters ....lol .. so does my neighbor across the street in his '05

·
Registered
7 Posts
the 01 Silverado i got my 5.3 out of was 'single exhausr and had '2' converters ....lol .. so does my neighbor across the street in his '05
You are absolutely correct. Some vehicles with a single exhaust have two converters... heck there are some vehicles that come from the factory with four converters. The fact is that in every case at least one converter is needed and depending on the situation and emission requirements the type and number of converters can change. Nothing to laugh about. My comment was reflecting the standard... which is at least one converter per exhaust pipe.
I'm interested in seeing your S10 build. Do you have any pictures you can share of the install and completion? Thanks S10dude for your comments.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,098 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Some vehicles with a single exhaust have two converters... heck there are some vehicles that come from the factory with four converters. The fact is that in every case at least one converter is needed and depending on the situation and emission requirements the type and number of converters can change. Nothing to laugh about. My comment was reflecting the standard... which is at least one converter per exhaust pipe.
I'm interested in seeing your S10 build. Do you have any pictures you can share of the install and completion? Thanks S10dude for your comments.
Dual pipes....dual baby cats...

1 - 20 of 186 Posts