S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered dumbass
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a '97 s-10 4.3L 4x4. Any suggestions or price estimations on wheels, lifts, upgrades?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
depends on what you want to use it for. I HATE IFS lifts with a passion. however, trailmaster and superlift, i think, make S-10 IFS lifts. as far as running larger tires/wheels, i think you need a 2" BL and possibly a little fender trimming to fit big stuff. Anything over 33", though, ive heard starts to break IFS components when wheeled. you could always get a posi for the rear end, for a simple upgrade.

·
Registered dumbass
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im wanting something about like a 3 in lift or so, not sure what tires would fit under that though. Nothing too tall, about like a ZR2 maybe. If you know anything about that lemme know. thanks

·
Registered dumbass
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, the S-10 has a closed intake with the black Vortec plastic covering over the rectangle shaped filter. Would I get more hp or fuel efficiency if I took off the covering and had an open intake with a circular K&N filter? If you can help let me know.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
well, with a 2 inch body lift and a turn or two of the torsion bars, you could be sittin on 31's. That's what I did and I'm just a hair higher than a Zr2. But with the same size tires as they have. The trick to running larger tires is to figure your backspacing right. Keep it as close to stock as possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2in BL higher than a zr2?

I want to lift my 97 4x4 sonoma and the cheapest way is a BL. i would want to be at least as high as or higher than a zr2. With a 2in bl you sit higher than a zr2? Isnt a zr2 3 inches higher? It is hard to find a 3 inch BL for a 1997 sonoma i think. The most i see is 2 inch. If that will give me a big gain in looks maybe thats what i go for. what you think? I am rambling...

·
ZR2 member
1,899 Posts
Here ya go all the differences:
What Makes a ZR2 Different From a Regular S-10 ?

If you are wondering what makes a regular S-10 a RPO ZR2, the following is the list of the factory modifications:

RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:

100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)

Three-inch suspension height increase

Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio

Larger wheel and axle bearings

31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)

46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks

Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)

Wheel flares (black on S-10 pickups and BlaZeR2 / body-color on Sonoma pickups)

33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar

Skid plates

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check Trailmaster for a 3" body lift, thats what I used. I dont think theres that may differences between them. The Trailmaster 5" is prolly the best susp lift you can get. Superlift makes a 2" susp. lift(stay away from this) and I believe a 6"(not sure maybe someone else knows)
Hey Muddy- What are you running on your rig? just curious, you running SFA?

·
12,507 Posts
lol, i wish. i totaled my Z a few months ago, the water was deeper than it looked and i had a running start...water was up to my chest in the cab. future mods on the ZR2 Blazer im getting involve a GM 14 bolt rear, and a coil-spring D60 front axle setup. want to get a beefed 700r4 tranny and slap a 327 in there (keep the RPM's high when im in the mud), run about 16" of lift, and 37" boggers and/or LTB's.
on the IFS lift, ive heard CST (Cali Super Trucks) makes one hell of a lift, but i dont know height or price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats deep man! Any pics? Did you have a lift in the z or no?

·
12,507 Posts
no, didnt get any pics. the water, outside the truck, was over the windshield wiper blades. i was getting ready to replace t-bars, leaf packs, and put a 2" BL on it so i could run 32" LTB's, but i was waiting on tax money to do that, and since the truck died before the taxes came thru...unless i had about 25" of lift on the Z, and not so much forward momentum, the truck still would have died. it was totally submerged, except for the cab where the window goes into the door.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry but how can you hate IFS lifts if youve never had one? They are good depending on how you drive your rig.

·
12,507 Posts
because of the general frailty of the system itself - t-bars, half-shafts, lack or articulation, all that stuff. a well-built SFA, or even a normal SFA, will outperform IFS anyday. i drove HARD. VERY hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well it could. But IFS has held its own for some for example the s10 in the Ultimate Adventure. A SFA will be stronger, and articulate better, but does everyone need it. No. It all depends on what you are looking to do. Do you want to run 38's on your s10? go SFA, are you looking for a rig that will look cool with 33's, go for an IFS lift. It is all about different needs for different kind of drivers. I have a TM IFS lift, do I wish I went SFA from the get go? Yes! But I never knew what kind of wheeler I was going to be then. So if you are going to lift, before you lift, decide what you are looking to accomplish, what kind of wheeler you are, and research lots before you spend big dollars on a lift either IFS or SFA. Sift through the crap, find out who knows what they are talking about and who doesnt. Knowledge from experience is a key thing when weeding out the BS!

·
12,507 Posts
exactly. i wouldnt have a SFA S-10 for a daily driver. id have my Nissan for that. i just loke running thru the thick stuff, especially mud, and the more lift and bigger tires i have, the better ill do. but youre right, its all about what you need it for. id never recommend a SFA for a serious rockcrawler, but then, i want my car to have IFS/IRS for road driving.

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
why wouldnt you have a SFA s10 as a DD??? i do and it does fine. Hell it gets better mileage lifted then it did stock. and IFS out preforming SFA ...thats a hard call. Depends what you consider "out preform". IFS is very capable IF built right. Mikes truck, the s10 in the UA, has 1/2 ton IFS...thats why it can handle the bigger tires. forgot if he has 33"s or 35"s...anyway, his truck did fien in the UA. he was following right behind SFA vehicles the whole time and kept up. That doesnt say much to the guy s who think IFS is worthless. it can be good, can be bad. but heres the other thing...you can set up the suspension soo many different ways that SFA and ride almost as good if not better then IFS. i know on the highway, my truck is alot smoother and doesnt shake as much. The highway with IFS was a night mare. but i forgot where i was going and im gonna shut up now...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have had SFA trucks and I have had IFS trucks.
IFS is 5 times better on the road and trail riding.
smoother ride, better traction, larger contact patch, better tire wear.
Answer this question.
If SFA is so much better why dont the manufactures make everything SFA?
I think most of you are to young to remeber how bad they really were.
I have never done rock climbing in a truck nor do I really feel the need to. maybe sfa is better there, but I really doubt it.
For those of us with Quads would you want to give up your IFS for a SFA. No you would be crazy to do that, So why would you want to do that with your truck.
The only reason I can see is so you could get a larger lift.
If that is the case stop telling other people lies about how much better it is, because it is NOT better it's a step back.

·
12,507 Posts
well, ive driven 3 F-250's with SFA, and ive never noticed that they handle, or are any worse mechanically, than IFS. manufacturers use IFS for the simple reason that in general, from the factory, IFS rides better on the road, and thats where the majority of people drive. look at it this way - we all know an LS1 is a hell of a lot better than a 4.3L, but THEY dont come stock in S-10s. its all about what the vechicle is INTENDED to do for the AVERAGE buyer, not us crazy guys.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts