S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, should I try and get the 4x4 over the standard 4x2 for the following reasons:

...Towing cars, Camper
...Better Driveability in Winter

I've been told a 4x4 uses more gas, whether it's engaged or not...does anyone know if this is true and to what extent.

I really want to get a 4x4 since they hold their value and have more capability.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
OK, I have a 4x4. Reasons: Better in winter period. Better for towing and pulling out a boat at the launch. Gas mileage on mine averages 21 around town and 26 on the highway. Great for pulling out the 2wd's that get stuck in the winter. If you think you can and will use it, buy one, dont be sorry later!

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you ever want to lower it, you will have major problems being a 4x4 instead of a 4x2. just something extra to ponder.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Problem lowering it? First how low? Mine is a 96 GMC 4x4 Highrider ( Was) I installed a soft ride suspension from a Bravado, the drop height as it is now is exactly the same height as a stock 2 wd, low enough still still get everything I wanted out of a 4x4 and sit decent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well lowering isn't something I want to do. Towing would be out of the question then. I just want something that holds it's own on the street - has power, has room inside for little stuff, can actually have my legs lie flat on the seat and pull the seat back for once, and keep the topper all the same.

I would love a ZR2 but it's so new and expensive and I don't know how smooth of a ride it would be.

But I was kinda just wanting all the options and comfort of a V-6 and the benefits of a 4x4 if they added up....sounds like they do. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just to let you know, I have a 4x4, and I can hold my own against many cars on the street :)

And if you want to lower it, it really isnt that hard, i did a 2 inch drop in less than 30 min.

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
i've got both...4x4 (93 jimmy) and 4x2 (00 xtreme)

honestly, i get better gas mileage outta the jimmy..lol...and i'll find out how glad i was to get a 4x4 here shortly...hehe..the jimmy may have 102,xxx miles, but she's still runnin strong:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is my 4x4 so you can get and idea. It came with the same suspension ( Springs and torsion bars) the ZR-2 had but alot cheaper and I lowered it.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a nice pic. I was thginkingg the ZR2 had a wider wheelbase, maybe not.

What would be a good tire size, as far as width for pulling on the road. Woudl the blazer tires be a good place to start?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The 4x4's are sligthly wider than a 2wd as far as stance. Tires? You can run 9 inch wide no trouble all the way around, and 29 iches tall too, if wanted. My rears are 11.5 wide the fronts 8, tows great even with street performance tires and not off road style. I have 8.5 inch wide 28 inch talls for winter, and no problem there either, they are off road style tires ( All terrain).

·
Registered
444 Posts
You have to remember that ZR2 is a suspension package designation just as ZQ8 is. My truck came with a Z83 suspension package which is somewhere in between those two. Chevy calls it, smooth but firm ride. I've lowered mine 2/2 which made it handle allot better without affecting the ride. I would have liked to lower it more but I would have run into problems with the CV joints up front and the tranfer case would be scraping on speed bumps. As it is, it came from the factory with the entire skid plate option. In the pictures you can see how low the transfer case is. I did manage to lessen the wheel gap significantly with lowering. It makes the truck look allot sportier. Now If I could only afford some 17" wheels it would look really sharp.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smooth looking truck man!

You know I never did think of insurance. I need to get a quote for a 98 model. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'll post my LS with SS Rims if the guy sells them to me and everything goes through. That will be one highlight worth sharing.

Here soon I have to think of upgrading to a newer model with the 4.3l

1 - 17 of 17 Posts