S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my 4x4 is not working. I checked just about all the components (even replaced the vacuum switch) but found out the vacuum actuator would not compress. So that lead my to getting under the truck to re examine the hoses. Found out that two of the hoses were dry rotted and cut in half close to where the vacuum switch meets the transfer case. Obviously these hoses need to be replaced. Does anybody know if there's a kit that I can get to replace all the hoses? if so where can get one? thanks.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
417 Posts
Hi guys, my 4x4 is not working. I checked just about all the components (even replaced the vacuum switch) but found out the vacuum actuator would not compress. So that lead my to getting under the truck to re examine the hoses. Found out that two of the hoses were dry rotted and cut in half close to where the vacuum switch meets the transfer case. Obviously these hoses need to be replaced. Does anybody know if there's a kit that I can get to replace all the hoses? if so where can get one? thanks.
No need for a kit, just buy replacement hose by the foot at NAPA or any parts store near you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need for a kit, just buy replacement hose by the foot at NAPA or any parts store near you.
Okay thanks, does the diameter of the hoses matter? also how many foot of hose would you recommend if I were to replace all the hoses?

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
30 Posts
Okay thanks, does the diameter of the hoses matter? also how many foot of hose would you recommend if I were to replace all the hoses?
Yep - size does matter. IIRC, you need 5/32" & 7/32" I.D., and you can always do the fail safe empirical method - take a small piece of each size the existing with you to match. I don't recall how much length is required, but 'eyeball' it and figure a margin of error when purchasing. The hose is not a budget buster.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
And replace one at a time.

Reactions: KKR27

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - size does matter. IIRC, you need 5/32" & 7/32" I.D., and you can always do the fail safe empirical method - take a small piece of each size the existing with you to match. I don't recall how much length is required, but 'eyeball' it and figure a margin of error when purchasing. The hose is not a budget buster.
What size Y connector do I need for the7/32 hoses?

·
Been there Done it
11,181 Posts
Don't think it matters if it's shaped like a Y or a T since vacuum goes around corners. Dorman makes one.

You can buy a box of 10 on ebay for $20 or 1 at a time for $13 each.
I'd spend all day in a junkyard looking for one before paying those stupid prices for a pennies worth of plastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't think it matters if it's shaped like a Y or a T since vacuum goes around corners. Dorman makes one. View attachment 349720
You can buy a box of 10 on ebay for $20 or 1 at a time for $13 each.
I'd spend all day in a junkyard looking for one before paying those stupid prices for a pennies worth of plastic.
Alright thanks, appreciate it!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Ace hardware or Home Depot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts