S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 5 speed in my 85 s15 and my 3 and 4 gear are going bad. I'm looking for a replacement 4x4 transmission to put it, anyone know of any? Names of transmissions?

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
You will need a 4x4 transmission. They don't have a tail shaft housing and bolt directly to the Xfer case.
I think that you can convert a 2x4 to 4x4 by disassembling the tranny and retro fitting the output shaft. Don't quote me though.

MBP is correct. The 2.5 and 2.8 interchange.
BUT.... if you think a 4x4 (5) speed is rare, try finding a 2.5 (5) speed 4x4. There are a few members who have them, but they are about as common as a white deer.

Good luck finding one used. RARE!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Try http://car-part.com/
You might need to make several calls for that one. The yards that list parts on that site rarely keep their inventory up to date. I can usually find what I'm looking for after a half dozen calls or so, more if the part is rare. That site doesn't seem to differentiate which engine, making the list even more difficult to deal with.

The bolt pattern is the same on the Iron Duke and the 2.8L V6, but isn't the starter on the opposite side? Or are they interchangeable? Something in my possibly faulty memory tells me that the bolts will go in, but the starter won't fit properly.

You might be able to use one of the 4.3L V6 ones if you swap bell housing sections.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The T5 is also not too bad to fix up if the gears aren't tore up and it's just the synchros. I've had my fair share apart, but getting the preload setup correctly is probably the biggest challenge I faced.

·
that dude with the truck
753 Posts
You will need a 4x4 transmission. They don't have a tail shaft housing and bolt directly to the Xfer case.
I think that you can convert a 2x4 to 4x4 by disassembling the tranny and retro fitting the output shaft. Don't quote me though.

BUT.... if you think a 4x4 (5) speed is rare, try finding a 2.5 (5) speed 4x4. There are a few members who have them, but they are about as common as a white deer.

i still kick my self for destroying my 1987 4x4 2 door blazer. it had a 2.5 4 cyl with a 4 spd manual

·
time to get cereal
1,990 Posts
The bolt pattern is the same on the Iron Duke and the 2.8L V6, but isn't the starter on the opposite side? Or are they interchangeable? Something in my possibly faulty memory tells me that the bolts will go in, but the starter won't fit properly.

Think you're right on that one.

You guys want really rare? Pretty sure they made 2.0L 4x4s, both trucks and Blazers.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
BVase engine in '82 was 1.9L.
And.. you know that was an Isuzu engine.

The 2.0 was an early Chevy Cavalier engine. It wasn't a powerhouse - for sure.

·
time to get cereal
1,990 Posts
I always wondered why they reworked the 2.0L block so much for two model years, and then ten years later decide that the car's block can just go into the truck.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
^^^^ :haha:

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts

About as rare a 2.5L Blazers of any kind. Guy I used to work with back in the early 90s had an 87 Iron Duke equipped Blazer. Vinyl seats. No factory air....I remember he used to drive it with the back window open. Not a pleasant ride in the Alabama heat. I have never seen a 4x4 2.5 S truck though, I gotta admit.

i still kick my self for destroying my 1987 4x4 2 door blazer. it had a 2.5 4 cyl with a 4 spd manual
Wow... this one was a 2.5 2x4 Blazer that I knew of. I haven't seen one in 25 years probably. All the old Blazers here in Alabama are 2.8L V6. To ever see even a pickup with the 2.0 is really rare. 83hp.... I bet with 4x4, the performance was "stunning"....

California apparently used the 1.9 too. But the best has gotta be he diesel option.... 58hp!! hahahaha omg!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing