S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 91 S-10 Blazer (4x4, stock lift and wheels, 185 K miles and still purrs), used for daily driving and sand crusing on the beach (I love the Outer Banks of North Carolina!!!). I'm looking for suggestions on the widest profile tire at the same overall diamerter which won't scrub or hit the body / frame / suspension and a tread pattern which will do well on sand, shed water (lots of rain and spray 'round here) and still get reasonable milage and cost range (tall order, huh?). All suggeations appreciated. Post or PM - Thanks

Bear

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
If you were willing to do a body lift a BF Goodrich 325/60/15 All Terrain KO would fit the bill nicely. They are essensially a 31x12.50. Wide foot print with flat tread an a mild pattern give good float on sand. And overall they are a super well mannered tire on the street.

I can't think of other wide tires with mild tread. Most are mudders and don't do real great in sand.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
maybe some mickey thompson tires? they have a lot of the agri-style treads that might do well in sand.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
carry an air compressor and lower your tire pressure for the sand

·
ZR2
69 Posts
I have used my 31x10.5x15 BFG ATs in the sand a few times and they have never let me down.. just make sure you air down.

Other than that, Ive seen many different types of tires used on the sand around here (Long Island). Just as long as you air down and keep your speed up you shouldnt have any probs with most tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Right now "Lil Bear" isn't slated for major mods, but maybe later on (recovering from a divorce - you know the deal). I run about 18 to 20 PSI on the beach and just want some extra width without getting too wild and wooly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
bearfromobx said:
Thanks for the info guys. Right now "Lil Bear" isn't slated for major mods, but maybe later on (recovering from a divorce - you know the deal). I run about 18 to 20 PSI on the beach and just want some extra width without getting too wild and wooly.
18-20 isn't even aired down. Get down to 10 or less. Then you can really wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
igofshn said:
18-20 isn't even aired down. Get down to 10 or less. Then you can really wheel.
At what pressure would I have to worry about the bead separating from the rim? I've always heard 15 PSI.

·
Registered
76 Posts
bearfromobx said:
At what pressure would I have to worry about the bead separating from the rim? I've always heard 15 PSI.
I've been down under 10 without a problem. I have friends that run less than 5. On my Jeep I run 35/12.5X15 on an 8" rim. Blazers have 7" rims so you can easily get down to 10 or less. If you blow a bead, air it back up. They set really easy. Beads blow when you put hard pressure on the sidewall, like when you take a really tight turn at a very slow speed. Sand gives so you don't get the hard pressure on the sidewall.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Pressure depends greatly on the tire itself as well. My Liberator All Terrains look ready to come off the wheel at 15 psi, my BFG All Terrains look fine at 10 psi, same size tires and wheels. I run my Swampers at 5-7 psi and wheel hard, no problems. But the load rating for one of those is more than the weight of my entire rig.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the 411 gang. Got a Wal-y-world gift card for X-mas and got a high volume air compressor for the Blazer (maybe I can get back on the road in less than 1/2 hour :) )

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a series of questions about the All Terrains suggested by adam728. Would those fit a '01 BlaZeR2 with minimal trimming? I am assuming the added width will rub quite a bit. Also do you know if it will fit on the stock ZR2 wheel. The site says 9 - 11 " wheel widths. Does anyone have any suggestions for backspacing if I do have to get new wheels? I am planning on shackles, a t-bar crank, and maybe even a 2"bl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts