S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello-
have an 87 s10 blazer and the 4x4 dont work-
(i read all topics in s10-4x4 .com bout the vacuum stuff and posi lock-tried to contact them but cant do that in the last days even the bbs is off!??)-
so i have an idea:what if i FIX the CAD cable which activates the front wheels -so that i have alltime 4wd???
or did anybody try to make an "posi lock" by himself-caus this thing looks really simple-(like its NOT worth the 120$...?)
is this possible or do i understand something wrong...
please help
peter

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
You can lock the front diff in if you would like it shouldnt hurt anything unless it has a locker in it then you will chew tires on turns but if its stock you shouldnt have any problems.

Your 4x4 will still be off till you pull the lever to engage the front drive shaft. Pretty much all the actuator does is the same thing getting out and lockin the hubs on a older truck.

It will also cause a little bit of drag since it will be spinning the drive shaft and possably make it a little harder to get it into 4x4 mode on the fly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read some information where a couple of people converted to a manualy actuated diff in front. That seemed to work very well for them.

I'll do some checking to see if I can find the information. Sadly I think is was on the s10-4x4 BBS but as you have noticed that board and site seems to be hosed.

Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-thanx guys-
that means i also HAVE to pull the lever on 4x4 and then pull/or push the CAD cable -then 4x4...??!
and if i do only one thing still NOTHING happens?? so this system works in 2 parts right?!
sorry but my english is .. so i dont understand EVERYTHING at first time and also its my first 4x4...:confused:

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
austroblazer said:
-thanx guys-
that means i also HAVE to pull the lever on 4x4 and then pull/or push the CAD cable -then 4x4...??!
and if i do only one thing still NOTHING happens?? so this system works in 2 parts right?!
sorry but my english is .. so i dont understand EVERYTHING at first time and also its my first 4x4...:confused:
ok yes it is two parts that control the 4x4.

the lever on the floor controls the transfercase wich diverts power from the motor to the front axel.

the cad cable is what turns the front axel on so it is linked up with the driveline. and this is actavated by vacume from a switch on the transfer case.

and the cable needs to be pulled to engage the front axel.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
did anyone ever think about just throwing the awd diff from the syclone/typhoon or the Astro AWD? then not have to worry about that just have truee awd?

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
HUTcH said:
did anyone ever think about just throwing the awd diff from the syclone/typhoon or the Astro AWD? then not have to worry about that just have truee awd?
you would also need the t-case

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
yeh that too... forgot to add that...

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
HUTcH said:
yeh that too... forgot to add that...

Woa I just realized he is from austria there might not be alot of s-series there so parts might be scarse.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Ever heard of Import :D
ehehehe Yeh i drive an import...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-your right guys-
its nearly impossible to find USED parts for us cars here:(
im looking for an orig. grille(cause i like the styling) since 2 months(mine is damaged)-
try to do something with the 4x4 this saturday...
lets see-
peter

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
well if you want a replacement Grill i will have one shortly if ya give me a few bux and shipping.. have no idea how much that will be you can have its not perfect but has no cracks or anything like that its off of a 90 S-10 so it will be th same one... or you can watch ebay they are on their all the time. as for the other part.... all i can say on that is watch ebay i saw the syclone transfer case and shafts on it about a week or 2 ago... just a thought shipping will be a ***** tho

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx hutch!-
before i read this message i went to my usparts dealer and bought a CHOKE cable to fix the 4x4!(no bad idea or...:D ) and ordered an NEW black orig(!) grill-
120$:eek:
thanks very much for your offer anyway!!!!!!!
peter

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
thats not too bad.. i would have throught higher than that there... but good to see ya got it figured out

·
Registered
5 Posts
posi lock

I got the posi lock in my truck because the Vacume side went out. it wasn't that hard to put in and it works great. I guess you could try to make one yourself, but the cable in the posi lock is alot beefier then like a bick clutch cable, and you would have to fab some way to mount it in your truck. not only that you would have to make a way to keep it ingaged. but hey if you have the time, tools and knowhow I don't see why trying would hurt.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't keep it locked!

The idea of unlocking the front end when not using 4x4 is to 1-save gas as the front axle, dif & drive shafts are turning as you drive. This increases the rolling resistance so you burn more gas pushing these parts down the road. 2- decrease wear on the same parts. I used to have a '62 willis jeep and it did not have locking hubs (they were optional or aftermarket back then) and I could not beleve the difference once I added Warn Hubs. The 62 was the new body style that eventually became the CJ5 but the drivetrain was the same as the original Jeep (it was not a flat head, the intake valves were overhead and the carb bolted right onto the head yet the exhaust valves were still in the block) This thing was screeming at 45! It was so gear bound that the hubs made a huge difference in drivability, gas mileage AND the front end did not wear out as fast unless you lived in 4x4. With the GM IFS it makes no sense to leave it locked in unless you like changing CV boots.........:bash:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, you don't want the front axle to be connected all the time. On a side note, one day I was working on my SFA and a guy stopped by to check it out. Guess he never seen anything like that before. Anyway, he goes on to tell me how he's going to put a front chunk from a Bravada AWD in his S-10 so that it will always be connected. So I guess it is possible though I wouldn't do it. Don't know what happened to that guy. Bet he's getting really crappy gas mileage by now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
AWD front chunk and t'case would work. The AWD has a way for the front & rear to slip and not fight each other. Like the decal said in my old jeep "Do not use 4 wheel drive on dry, hard roads". It works in the rain and on dirt 'cause the front & rear are not 100% in sync so they need to slip. Dry blacktop would fry an old 4x4 real quick. That's why they needed all 4 tires to be the same diameter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts