S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning on picking up a 98 blazer this week as a project. It’s 4.3, auto, 4x4.
I’ve been researching the awd conversions and it’s pretty straight forward but a question arose in my mind.
Why can’t you run 4hi full time? If the gear ratios are the same front and rear, what’s the issue with having 4x4 engaged on pavement at all speeds, while retaining the option for 4lo or 2hi?
I don’t presume to know all the info, but I’d prefer the option of full time 50/50 engagement.
I don’t see where there would be a problem if front and rear diffs are the same ratio and of course there’s no difference in tire spec. If 4 wheel hi is direct drive, where is the issue?

·
It WAS a Blazer
96 manual transfer case 4x4 5 speed 2dr Chevy Blazer, 02 push button 4x4 Automatic 2dr Chevy Blazer
624 Posts
4x4s bind up on dry pavement when turning. You can actually hear it if you make a tight turn in 4hi or 4low. It's not much of an issue in off-road or snow because one or more of the tires slips a little when turning.

That's why a lot of AWD vehicles have a center differential, viscous coupling or some other way to allow the front differential to turn fractionally faster in a turn.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t think with the same gear ratios it would be much of an issue, but none the less... instead of swapping all the forward drivetrain what about using a drive shaft mounted viscous coupler on the forward drive shaft?
Ever since people realized they can AWD civics factory parts have skyrocketed off cars they long forgot about, but they handle serious power in drag and autox applications.
I’m just trying to get input on the concept.
I want the 50/50 split most importantly, I want it to survive dry pavement as well as anything else.
I figure just making a custom forward output shaft with a viscous coupler, maybe even an electronic or mechanically activated would be simple.
Other than that converting the forward diff to lsd maybe.

·
Been there Done it
9,201 Posts
It would be a lot easier to just swap out the transfer case for one from an S-series with AWD than building a custom driveshaft that will fit in the limited amount of space under the engine.
We bought an 02 4wd Blazer from a old lady who just put it in 4wd when winter came. It only had 120K on it and the transfer case and front differential were shot. Put $50 used ones in and still have it. So if you want to drive it in 4wd on pavement you can and the parts you'll wreck are cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the response.
Goin thru all the dead forums and threads from 10 years ago, I never seen anyone try a different approach.
I just happened to stumble on a hopefully good buy of a blazer that is too good to pass up. I haven’t picked it up yet, so I haven’t gotten to look under it.
For my approach and wants I just figured a forward drive shaft with a viscous coupler would make more sense, or the lsd front diff.
It’s sad to see the S10 platform never had much performance aftermarket attention paid to it.
If y’all can recommend any other sources of info for reference I would appreciate it. I see too many routes to go that all cost about the same, power wise, just looking to make a unique fun vehicle to drive on or off road, without going hardcore.
Along those lines, any info of a LS swap or SBC are compatible with the original 4X4 equipment.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,643 Posts
Browse the LSx and V8 Discussion forums.

40,530 Posts
The platform has tons of aftermarket support. Maybe not as much as when they were still being produced. There's just nothing in the way of what you're thinking about doing. Most 4x4 S series get lifted and/or solid front axle swaps etc... If you wanted to factory AWD swap you even have what's left of the Sy/Ty aftermarket support and info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts