S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a super clean 60k mile 97 s10 4x4 extended cab with the 4l60e auto transmission. It recently went out on me so I’m deciding to swap in a nv3500 manual rwd transmission! Is there anything I should know before hand? Also how do the driveshaft lengths compare? I know that I need to get the tranny, drive shafts, clutch pedal assembly, master and slave cylinders and possibly a manual ecu? I’ve heard and seen that some cars can still have the auto ecu, you just have to do something with the neutral switch or whatever. Saw it on YouTube with a genesis manual swap. I’m thinking the smartest and cheapest option would be to buy another s10 with a blown motor or something and then snagging all the parts I need from it and then selling it to a junk yard or pick n pull. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys! I have a super clean 60k mile 97 s10 4x4 extended cab with the 4l60e auto transmission. It recently went out on me so I’m deciding to swap in a nv3500 manual rwd transmission! Is there anything I should know before hand? Also how do the driveshaft lengths compare? I know that I need to get the tranny, drive shafts, clutch pedal assembly, master and slave cylinders and possibly a manual ecu? I’ve heard and seen that some cars can still have the auto ecu, you just have to do something with the neutral switch or whatever. Saw it on YouTube with a genesis manual swap. I’m thinking the smartest and cheapest option would be to buy another s10 with a blown motor or something and then snagging all the parts I need from it and then selling it to a junk yard or pick n pull. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks
Fixin ur 4L60 to handle the beating that tore it up @ 60k would B least extensive [not to mention kwikest] way to cure ur prob. If ur local Trans shops Can't help , there are many on the web who can . 5 pinion planatary fron 4L65 is example of upgrade pts available along with anything else that broke. Tranfer case can also be strenghtened. Happy Motorin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixin ur 4L60 to handle the beating that tore it up @ 60k would B least extensive [not to mention kwikest] way to cure ur prob. If ur local Trans shops Can't help , there are many on the web who can . 5 pinion planatary fron 4L65 is example of upgrade pts available along with anything else that broke. Tranfer case can also be strenghtened. Happy Motorin
Well my truck is a street truck with a 6 inch lowering kit. So I think a manual would be best and most fun

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
893 Posts
Not sure about you but when I had my 66 Mustang GT with the 4 speed it was not much fun to cruise in as I was always messing with the clutch to keep my speed low and my engine from stalling. Now with my 1960 C10 that had a TH400 in it, I could cruise down Ruston way all night with no issues, no tired leg and no chugging sounds from the engine. It was much more fun to cruise with the auto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about you but when I had my 66 Mustang GT with the 4 speed it was not much fun to cruise in as I was always messing with the clutch to keep my speed low and my engine from stalling. Now with my 1960 C10 that had a TH400 in it, I could cruise down Ruston way all night with no issues, no tired leg and no chugging sounds from the engine. It was much more fun to cruise with the auto.
Yeah but I like to shift my own gears. That’s partially why my auto went out ;) I think the manual will be better for me overall, I just need help on putting it together

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
893 Posts
Yeah but I like to shift my own gears. That’s partially why my auto went out ;) I think the manual will be better for me overall, I just need help on putting it together
I do too, but I found sometimes its just a PITA.

So that being said... The best way to do this over all would be to get a doner truck and swap the everything. That way the computer is not complaining about the transmission, there is no CEL, and you will get the correct driveline for your truck (if you get the same cab style doner) That may not be the cheapest way but it would be the best way. The other method is to collect the parts, get into the job and find out you need this or that, that you didn't know about till now and have to go searching again... but that could be half the fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do too, but I found sometimes its just a PITA.

So that being said... The best way to do this over all would be to get a doner truck and swap the everything. That way the computer is not complaining about the transmission, there is no CEL, and you will get the correct driveline for your truck (if you get the same cab style doner) That may not be the cheapest way but it would be the best way. The other method is to collect the parts, get into the job and find out you need this or that, that you didn't know about till now and have to go searching again... but that could be half the fun.
I like the way you think ;) the only problem with the donor truck I’m running into so far is that there aren’t any extended cab manuals out there atm. I’m not doing the swap for probably another few weeks to a month so let’s hope one shows up for cheap. I’m thinking $1000 or less and that way I’d save a ton of money over going part by part over time!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I like the way you think ;) the only problem with the donor truck I’m running into so far is that there aren’t any extended cab manuals out there atm. I’m not doing the swap for probably another few weeks to a month so let’s hope one shows up for cheap. I’m thinking $1000 or less and that way I’d save a shit ton of money over going part by part over time!
You need to come over here to the Puget Sound area. I was looking for an extended cab V6 auto and only found manuals!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
You could also just find a 4wd manual doner truck, and keep the 4wd in play. After all that will give you better traction at launch! :whistle:

·
time to get cereal
4,621 Posts
People who complain about manuals don't really seem to like driving, just moving down the road, lol.

If you get a tired leg from an S10 clutch, you really need to worry about your health.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
People who complain about manuals don't really seem to like driving, just moving down the road, lol.

If you get a tired leg from an S10 clutch, you really need to worry about your health.
Lmao I want another manual. My other car is a 09 Corolla s with a manual and I’m using it to deliver pizzas for dominos! Yeah at times it sucks but that’s the fun in it. I’m the cool guy at work Bc I can drive manual😂

·
time to get cereal
4,621 Posts
I pretty much stick to manuals only, they are lighter, simpler, and all of the things people complain about them, I don't share those feelings. 4 bangers need stick shifts, an S10 with a 2.2L auto is night and day from a manual. Talk about penalty box.

I have one car with an auto but manual swapping it is very tempting, if I can find the parts to do it. It doesn't have anything in the engine bay right now so it's not like it would be that much extra work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pretty much stick to manuals only, they are lighter, simpler, and all of the things people complain about them, I don't share those feelings. 4 bangers need stick shifts, an S10 with a 2.2L auto is night and day from a manual. Talk about penalty box.

I have one car with an auto but manual swapping it is very tempting, if I can find the parts to do it. It doesn't have anything in the engine bay right now so it's not like it would be that much extra work.
That’s how I’m feeling right now too. Might as well manual swap it for what I’m doing with it as well as the fact my auto needs a new control valve body which costs $300 and a day of work for myself

·
time to get cereal
4,621 Posts
S10s are pretty easy to find manual parts for too. My car with an auto is a '95 Grand Am with the V6. Pretty hard to find the transaxles for those(V6 5 speed was only offered for a pretty short time and didn't sell in big numbers, Fiero people want them pretty badly also), and even finding a manual 4 banger in the junkyard is proving difficult, the cars weren't exactly built to last.

·
Registered
893 Posts

lol. Yea that would cause me some worry too. My Mustang on the other hand was fully mechanical linkage and I had a 3000lb pressure plate. The clutch was a racing clutch from the 70’s. The car‘s normal pressure plate is only 1800lb. So yea my leg got tired. Lol.

I do like driving and prefer a manual, but there are times an auto is preferred.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well my truck is a street truck with a 6 inch lowering kit. So I think a manual would be best and most fun
In that case your 1st idea buying a similar vehicle with the drive train u seek is probably the least pricey

1 - 20 of 38 Posts