S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So I tried to replace my ball joints last weekend(99 sonoma 4x4). The upper went fine, but with the lowers, i just couldnt get them to pop. I tried everything except heat(didnt have access to it at the time). So I took it to the mechanic on base, and he said that it was going to be a 4 or 5 hour job, because the axle has to come out. Is he right, I had the upper bj disconnected and the axle nut off, and it seemed to me like if the lower ball joint would have come loose I could have taken the steering knuckle out then replaced the lower bj? So why would the axle have to come out?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i just take the spindle off the upper bj and then the lower. i dont even loosen the tie rod end. the axle will have to come out of the spindle but not completely out of the frt unit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thats what it looked like to me. So there is enough room to remove the steering knuckle from the lower bj without completely removing the half shafts? Do I have to do anything other than loosen the axle nut for that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.