S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that the 4wd motor has more power/torque than the 2wd motor because of the loss of power in the 4wd stage... i blew my motor and droppped a 4wd motor in and cant really tell any difference, would the difference come from the ECU? does the 4wd computer give it more power and a different bandwith?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the computer make a differnece tho like tells the fuel pump to send more fuel because of the cam?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also get more than just random studders around 1800-2200 RPM and just keeps missing and pain in the arse, but that could be because of the O2 sensor being bad

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm not worried about feeling it really, i just want to kno that wen i ddi the 4wd motor swap should i have swapped the computer.... will the computer make a difference? power, torque, idle, smoothness?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wow, you'll never feel 10hp. The only time you feel a difference is a gain of at least 40.
I would have to disagree with that. I have done test and tunes on various v8 engines and 10hp is very noticable. Taking your engine driven fan off will give you 10hp, and you can feel that. I switched to underdrive pulleys on a 355 I had and that was 10-15hp and it had a noticable power increase.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
The 4wd has 10 more HP only on the 96+. Before that the 2wd and 4wd have the same HP ratings.
Was just going to say this, based on the truck in his signature unless he swapped from a TBI 4.3 to a CPI 4.3 which I doubt, the power ratings were the same.

·
professional sh*t talker
180 Posts
I would have to disagree with that. I have done test and tunes on various v8 engines and 10hp is very noticable. Taking your engine driven fan off will give you 10hp, and you can feel that. I switched to underdrive pulleys on a 355 I had and that was 10-15hp and it had a noticable power increase.
i would have to agree , i put pulleys on my astro and blazer and did feel a differance. most was felt at full throttle and not at cruising , you can notice a differance for sure though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: 4wd vs. 2wd motor
i'm not worried about feeling it really, i just want to kno that wen i ddi the 4wd motor swap should i have swapped the computer.... will the computer make a difference? power, torque, idle, smoothness?

I wondering if any body really knows the anwser to the question? Cause i'd like to know it also.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Re: 4wd vs. 2wd motor

I wondering if any body really knows the anwser to the question? Cause i'd like to know it also.
If it's TBI to TBI there is no reason or need to swap the computers.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
4wd trucks have a bigger y-pipe. Or more accurately, the y-pipes on 2wd trucks were made smaller for "clearance" issues.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
if your truck has a "W" vin it has 10 more hp because of a different cam. BOOM!!! end of descussion.:haha:
BOOM in 1996 the W motor had 180hp in the 2wd, 190 in the 4wd and 200 in the astros and 1500s. So BOOM there it is. Get your facts right.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
proof please?
That was the HP of the trucks in 1996 when I bought my truck. I don't need a peace of paper to tell me what I remember when I bought my truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts