S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have my awd turbo 5.3 (4l80e bw4472 t-case) and have recently installed a center console from a blazer. Im trying to get the "throw" correct so I dont have to go aftermarket. I want to keep the clean oem look if possible, ive seen threads asking the same but like usual nobody posted the "fix". If anyone has any insight reach out to me here or Instagram jettywrat13.

·
Been there Done it
10,922 Posts
The arm on GM 1998-2014 on both the 4l60E and 4l80E on the transmission is the same part. So the "throw" is the same for both. I suspect GM designed them this way to eliminate a need for additional parts on the assembly line.
Doesn't seem to matter if you install it with the connecting ball facing in or out.
When I put a 4L80E in my 99 rcsb i just used the 4l60E bracket on the side of the pan rail with only 1 bolt holding it and everything popped into place and worked. There was something about the shape of the 4l60E bracket that sort of settled into place on the pan and didn't seem to need another bolt. You could fab a small plate for a second pan bolt if you wanted to. Mine was a column shift, but the lower end of the cables is the same. I have a Blazer console and shifter to switch mine to the floor and may install it next year. I wanted to get the swap done this year.
You have to adjust the cable in the usual way by removing both clips and putting the trans and shifter in neutral. Make sure the inner cable is free to settle where it wants. Connect the cable to the trans arm and re-install the clips.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you post some pictsure as to where you mounted the cable bracket? I mounted mine with the bolt to the oil pan under it

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The arm on GM 1998-2014 on both the 4l60E and 4l80E on the transmission is the same part. So the "throw" is the same for both. I suspect GM designed them this way to eliminate a need for additional parts on the assembly line.
Doesn't seem to matter if you install it with the connecting ball facing in or out.
When I put a 4L80E in my 99 rcsb i just used the 4l60E bracket on the side of the pan rail with only 1 bolt holding it and everything popped into place and worked. There was something about the shape of the 4l60E bracket that sort of settled into place on the pan and didn't seem to need another bolt. You could fab a small plate for a second pan bolt if you wanted to. Mine was a column shift, but the lower end of the cables is the same. I have a Blazer console and shifter to switch mine to the floor and may install it next year. I wanted to get the swap done this year.
You have to adjust the cable in the usual way by removing both clips and putting the trans and shifter in neutral. Make sure the inner cable is free to settle where it wants. Connect the cable to the trans arm and re-install the clips.
View attachment 343438
Sorry i meant to reply to the reply

·
Been there Done it
10,922 Posts
I'll try to get you a pic this afternoon.

Reactions: s10slave

·
Been there Done it
10,922 Posts
Sorry I didn't get a chance to take the pics of mine today. She had my day already planned.
The first pic looks a lot like mine, but you seem to have a bend in the cable right at the adjuster. Is there a way to re-route the cable so it's straighter in that area? I also seem to remember mine being a bit farther back. What year 4l60E is the bracket off of? The one I used originally bolted to the pan. Some of the later ones bolt up on the side of the case. Here in the salt belt after 20 years of salt spray those are impossible to remove because the steel bolt is actually welded to the aluminum case by some chemical reaction.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,388 Posts
Was the console/cable from a 2wd by chance? If so, you may want to get the 4wd cable. It's longer. 4wd cable on a 2wd doesn't matter. 2wd on a 4x4 might be a bit short, hence the bend in your cable.

Edit: 2wd floor console cable is 81.5". 4wd floor shift console is 98.43".

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the console/cable from a 2wd by chance? If so, you may want to get the 4wd cable. It's longer. 4wd cable on a 2wd doesn't matter. 2wd on a 4x4 might be a bit short, hence the bend in your cable.

Edit: 2wd floor console cable is 81.5". 4wd floor shift console is 98.43".
It was from a 4x4 from my understanding

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,388 Posts
Might take a quick measurement.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out the shirter shift/selector shaft is the issue. I swapped in the stock one and found a wa for the prndl switch to work as well. Man is it a tight fit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts