S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Backyard Built
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I might be completely off on this but here it goes anyway. Recently my dad bought a Dodge Stealth and they are known for having bad transmission control modules in the automatics. After doing some research I have found that it is possible to hook switches up to the solenoids in the transmission to give them a signal when to shift the transmission. So long story short you hook two switches up and by the position of them it will allow you to shift all four gears rather than have the TCM control it. I was wondering if the 4L60E would be possible to run this setup. Ive done some research but nothing is really straightforward on what im looking for. Im trying to figure out two things: I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4 door 4wd 4.3 with a 4L60E and im wondering if it has a TCM that is spererate from the ECU and im also wondering if it runs two solenoids to control the shift. im wondering if im being misled by the electronics of it, but i thought this is what made it different from the pressure controlled 700r4 of the 1st generations.

For everyone wondering: The main reason for running switches instead of just running thru the gears on the shifter is that there is no band slippage or hesitation at all with them. Thanks for any info i can get on these transmissions

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
in gmn its a PCM combination single unit to run the powertrain 1993 and up with 4L60E and every couple years the electronics of the 4L60E changed as well so its a mess really.

the chryslers and mitsus had the TCM separate controller for trannies

weve replaced a ton of thesee trannies for ppl they are constantly failing

also in the caravans and such

stealth
avenger
eagle vision
and more..

·
Backyard Built
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So on the 4L60E is it possible to actually access the wiring to the shift solenoids or would it risk destroying the ECU to get to them?
I kno all about the chrysler transmissions lol. We put three of them in my moms van in less than six years. Thankfully in our stealth it actually just has a bad TCM so we hardwired switches to the solenoids. Runs perfect, but u gota use two switches to shift gears. Its actually a little more fun than usin a shifter cuz theres no time in between gears at all and theres no clutch.

·
AWD Hot Rod
132 Posts
So on the 4L60E is it possible to actually access the wiring to the shift solenoids or would it risk destroying the ECU to get to them?
I kno all about the chrysler transmissions lol. We put three of them in my moms van in less than six years. Thankfully in our stealth it actually just has a bad TCM so we hardwired switches to the solenoids. Runs perfect, but u gota use two switches to shift gears. Its actually a little more fun than usin a shifter cuz theres no time in between gears at all and theres no clutch.
It's possible, but not pratical....

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is the issue. Both the 2-4 band has to release while the 3rd gear servo engages, and it needs to be timed just right. Figure this out, and you should be able to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts