S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
and pushing the firewall way way back...the biggest engine that will fit stock is a 400 pontiac, after that, its a hell of a lot of sheetmetal work. y not go with a 383 or something a little smaller?

·
Owner www.v8s10.org
33 Posts
why would you think the big block needs to move the firewall back the big block is the same lenght from the motor mounts to the back of the block as a small block... and a big block really isnt much longer than a small block. i just measured the big block we have, from rear to front is 23 1/2", only 1 1/2" longer than a small block(22") and on the big block from the front motor mount bolt forward to the face of the block is 5 1/2" 1 1/2" longer towards the front than the small block. with a short water pump, and the corvette radiator in the forward position. you can easily fit a big block. header clearance is a bit of an issue, but with stock manifolds they do not protrude very far out beyond the flange.

·
12,507 Posts
from what ive heard, anything over a 400 will not fit. its in the sticky, im pretty sure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well Kramers dads truck had a 406 in it and they didn't have to beat the piss out of the body to get it in there. :-\
You know that a smallblock will fit in a S10 and that smallblocks chevys can be built up to over 450 cubic inches so that proves the theory wrong that nothing bigger than 400ci will fit.

·
12,507 Posts
a 406? was that bored out? i dont know, i wouldnt put a big-blick in an s-10 anyway, seeing how the rear end is so light, adding that much more weight up front can only make traction worse. id rather get a ZZ383, LT1, or LS1 and build it up than drop a massive beast of a 454 in the front

·
Owner www.v8s10.org
33 Posts
I have seen some pictures of Big block swaps at this forum v8s10.org

:doh:
oh yeah thats my site

·
Registered
247 Posts
uhh pursuit S10
a 406 is a 30 over 400 sbc maybe you mean a 402

·
Owner www.v8s10.org
33 Posts
no, it had a 406... not a big block

·
Registered
3 Posts
just cause my name say's 454...doest mean that....i had a 454 ..than got a deal on some 427 part's...it's a 427....13-1 ross piston's...forged crank...stanley alimuim super rod's...killer squarte port heads ...660 soild roller...all the good stuff.....im doing a 9 inch now and a 4 link set up..for next year...

·
i wonder if she shaves?
298 Posts
im not sure if it's bill mitchell hardcore...or world products....humm...it might be dart. yea...i think it's dart. the just came out with a 454 CI aluminum small block chevy. that would be sick!!! too bad the block prolly runs 6g's and you'll need really expensive rods pistons and crank for it. HUMMM...if only i was a millionare....the things i would waist my money on (it's nice to dream isnt it). any who....you bet your ass an all aluminum small block 454 would SCREW in an S'10 if you could get the damn thing to hook up. and the engine would prolly weigh as much ir not less than a regular cast iron SBC. ok ive rambled enough...but now you know...the big inch small blocks are readly available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the only thing that the big inch small block have over the big block's ..is they are abale to be installed in the same plase as a factory small block...they still have a 4.00 inch stroke and a 4.250 bore ...but will small heads....and cost about 10 times more than a regular big block....big small block's are kool ...but the true big block chevy is and alway's will be the king...in now way shape or form is a small block head in the same configurtion(like a 23 degree head) going to flow as good as a big block head... if the big small block's where less expensive ..i would probaly have one..but at around 20,000 for a complete motor..ready to run..i can't...till than i'll keep my large cubic big block's...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 01 regular cab fittin a blown 468.. Firewall was moved back 5".. Full tube chassis, 4-linked, tubbed for 33x22.5's runin 31x17.5 Hoosier slicks.. Truck went a best of 5.06 139 1.16 off a .409 at Eatonton in Georgia.. For all my bigblock fans.. "Cubic Inches Seperate the Men from the Boy's.. People always talk about gettin s10's to hook.. We got a buddies 1st Gen to pull the fronts with only welded spider gears an slicks.. Doesn't take much..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts