Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had a question, has anyone seen a 409/ 348 W-motor put in an s10? I was just wondering if one of these motors would fit in an s10. I realize there is no real practical purpose here because you could build a chevy small block to the same cubic inch range. I just thought it would be something different and a little bit cool.
thanks,
mike

·
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!
6,950 Posts
Anythings possible.

i hate ford, but i say go for it.

and take lots of pics.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
They're 3 inches wider and 2 inches longer than a SBC, and 70 pounds heavier.

I'm sure you can make anything fit with enough work, but would it be worth it to you? I'd bet a lot of people won't notice/appreciate what you have under the hood.

Notadime, they're Chevy.....

·
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!
6,950 Posts

·
Spark Plugs Are Overrated
6,129 Posts
I think it would be very cool, go for it. It was mentioned that most people wouldn't even notice, but those who would, would definitely appreciate what had been done.

I was at a car show one time, looking at a '30 something Packard that had a "V12" in it from the factory. The old man that owned it had the side panels off of it, allowing a small portion of the sides of engine to be visible, including the plug wires, but something didn't look right to me, so I looked closer and discovered barely visible electronic fuel injectors! By this time the old man was watching me, so I continued trying to figure out what was going on. When I realized that the rearward most plug wire was a dummy and was actually ran to a stud, it came to me. He had had someone build custom, period correct "looking" valve covers and added the fake plug wire to each side to disguise the Viper V10 he had installed in the old Packard. That old man was nothing smiles when I looked up at him after I had figured out what he had done.

Moral of the story, it only takes one person realizing what you have done to make it worth while.

·
An ol Scott
835 Posts
I say go for it. It's gonna be a squeeze but thats nothing in our custom/hotroding world.
I for one would appreciate your swap. Those porky pine heads with their different valve covers would sure catch peoples eyes. You could have a fabulous paint job but it will be that engine in there that will generate the most comments and talking points for you.

If you do decied to do that swap keep us informed and post lots of pictures.

BTW. I don't hate Fords. I have a 69 Mach One and a 351 Cleaveland engine 70 Mustang also. Hate is a needlessly harsh word for nothing more than a persons preference for a certain car manifacture.

Enjoy guys. It's all fun.

·
Finishing Interior
711 Posts
I don't think an S10 deserves to have a 409 in it unless you are hauling it to a machine shop and back for an Impala bubble top restoration. A 348 might be ok, but I think you would make a lot of street roders who can't find a 409, or even afford one for that matter, very upset seeing one in an S10.

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
I don't think an S10 deserves to have a 409 in it unless you are hauling it to a machine shop and back for an Impala bubble top restoration. A 348 might be ok, but I think you would make a lot of street roders who can't find a 409, or even afford one for that matter, very upset seeing one in an S10.
who cares what they think or how upset they get, at least its a 409 thats on the street and not in a junkyard somewhere. Hell i would be love to see a 409 stuffed in a s10!!

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts

Just because it's in a S10 doesn't mean the motor is ruined. It can always be sold or traded to an Imp restorer if the S10 owner chooses.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
I just read in Hot Rod the 409 and the 348 also came in '62 to '66 heavy duty trucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes the 348 and 409 are the same engine. Both have flat surface heads and a compression chamber milled into the side of the cylinders. But the weak point of these engines was the weight of the pistons and connecting rods they just didn't like to rev. But today a ton of after market companies are making new parts to power up these old engines. Now if someone would start making aluminum replacement blocks all would be right with the world.

·
Registered
800 Posts
most people did not know that you could get a 1965 Impala SS with a 409 in it. I think the mounts are the same as a BB Chevy. Headers might be your biggest issue. Neat idea though.

·
light em up Bitch
89 Posts
Do it ! Exhaust will suck though,those old stock manifolds love to crack and are expensive to find.Make/modify your own headers starting with a set from an Impala?? 409`s are a neat looking engine.

·
is a fungineer
6,108 Posts
It's my fault......

Mysss10 started a thread about this, I linked this thread to show it's been thought of before, he posted in it, and the rest is history.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.