S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, just bought an 97 S10 Blazer, equipped with the Iron Duke and a 4 speed manual trans, and as I was driving it today after letting it warm up for 15 or so, first gear seems really hard to actually go in to smoothly. This may be because I haven't driven a stick for over a year, or maybe there's something wrong. But if I don't give it alot of gas, is bogs down and almost dies. If I give it just a little bit more, it jumps and all that. Like I said, maybe I gotta get used to driving a stick again, but is first gear just a pain because of the gearing or what?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Yeah, I dont think so....... Either you have an older blazer or you dont have a duke......

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
check fluid level in the trans, also that it is the correct fluid

many of these took synchromesh fluid which is an oddball fluid

but im not sure on the old iron 4 speeds these years, i forgot

if that snot whats causing it then id look into failing clutch or bearing, or dying synchronizer etc

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
They take DexronIII IIRC..... Bet the 1st gear synchro is worn out.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a 30 day for it today, and drove it around some. Seems that I needed a refresher course in manual transmissions. It drives fine. Operator error like usual, haha

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
No prob, I have never had one apart. I do have a manual for the 5 speed tho.... Doesnt look too complicated, just expensive to repair.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I took one apart for my son...
500 beers and a 1/4 ton of weed later it worked... whata bitch!
Never again..
I went to the yard and bought another for my truck "Just in case"LOL!!!
willie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts