S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 85 s10 came with a 4 speed manual transmission and a 2.8 carb'd v6, personally i HATE this trans and was wondering if maybe a 5 speed out of a camaro with a 2.8 would work, or if there were any other 5 speed manuals out there with the same bold pattern that i could swap in place of that crappy 4 speed

thanks

russ

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not lookin for something stronger, im lookin for another gear, 65 mph in 4th gear, im revvin 3800 and it sounds like its gonna fly to pieces, do u know how popular the t-5 was behind the 2.8?

·
Registered
295 Posts
the t-5 is real popular. they came out of f-body cars and several others by ford and GM. there were several moifications to the t-5 though make sure you get the right one.

you are replacing a t-4 right?

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess its a T4---- factory crappy 4 spd behind a carb'd 86 2.8, i need the 60 degree bolt pattern right?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
the t-5 from ford or any chevy should bolt right up to the bell housing you already have... could geta t-5 from a iroc z or firebird of that area and it should bolt right up to the bell you already have...

if it doesnt all you need is the bell form a 2.8 with the 5 speed and have the better tranny

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I hear you about the 4spd, a friend of mine had an 85 2.8 blazer 4 spd, 80mph down the highway it was basically winding out and ready to blow apart. I had a 92 2.8 5spd pickup at the time, I would say the 5spd is definitely exactly what you are looking for, as it seemed all the 4spd in his truck was, was my 5spd without 5th gear.

·
Registered
295 Posts
some things i want you to watch out for when looking for a t-5 are :

what type of speedometer do you have, the early ones were cable driven while the later was electronic pulse driven.

count your input shaft splines and output shaft splines. i think a mustang input shaft is a little longer with a different number of splines (some one may have to back me up, i dont know fords)

on a firebird or iroc tranny, the shifter is further back on the tail assy.

there were two versions of the t-5, one was a non-wprld class and the other is the world class. from the outside they look identical. everything is the same except the world class used a little better bearings and synchros. they both fit the same applications though (ie. same bolt patterns)

look at the input shaft closely. look for a twist in the spines for the clutch. make sure there is no visib;e twist in the splies. this is a weak spot in the tranny and means the tranny in probably abused.

move the input shaft up and down then side-to-side, notice any play in the shaft. a little play is ok and can be taken out with a chim or two. alot means that it will at least need thrust bearings soon.

bolted to the tail assy is a metal tag, you can go to the following link and put the number is the fields and it will tell you what application the transmission is out of ( ie. ford/chevy/gmc/s10/fbody....)
http://www.5speeds.com/t5/

hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
good info here! hate to be a thread nazi, but anyone know if the trannies differ in length or anything between 2wd and 4wds? i wanna throw a 5 speed on my 2.5 4x4 4speed...

·
Registered
295 Posts
what transmission do you have?

i dont know that much about 4wd, but the tail cover will be shorter. in the t-5 manual it shows all variations of a class to use indentical parts except the tail housing/shifter/sensors. i "think" the input shafts are different between ford and chevy/gm.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the 4 speed tail housing and shaft will be different between a 4 and five speed. on a t-5 the fifth gear is on the countershaft on the tail end. there is a bulge in the tail assy to make room for the fifth gear synchro and gear assy.

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the info guys, this was a ton of help, and a lot of solid information, i need to get the tranny in my camaro done, then im gonna tackle the s10

thanks again

russ

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
you need to find an s-10 2wd t5 period, the F body trannies have different tail setup for the torque arm mount setup under them and 4x4 trannies are big time shorter than 2wd trannies, 4x4 trannies dotn even use a tailshaft housing and the output shaft is way big time shorter than 2wd ones,. you need to watch what year one you get too because in early 90s and some late 80s they changed to VSS electric speedo and discontinued using cable drive speedo

good luck

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Fastr68, just so you know, the F-body T5 trans is the same legnth as the S10. only the shifter location, is changed. It is posiable to use one if you get the tailshaft assembly fron a S10 and change them. The 4WD S10 do have a tailshaft. They have to. The shifter mounts in it. The output shaft is different is different on them. They also have no rear seal, since they bolt to the transfer case.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, the F-body tail is the same length as the S-10 tail case, but the speedo drive gear is not in the same spot, see www.inliners.org/Jack/T5 tech.
As far as I know, the 4 speed Borg Warner trans (SR-4 or T-4) in the 'GM' version had the same main case bolt pattern as the GM T5s, so you should not need to change bell housings. Stay away from Ford or Jeep T5s, they have a different bolt pattern and will not bolt up. If you do get one you will have to switch to a Jeep or aftermarket 2.8 V6 to SR-4, T-4, T-5 bell housing.
You also have to watch the input shaft. Most S-10 inputs are 1" diameter x 14 spline.
Chevy V8 inputs are 1-1/8" x 26 spline which means you would have to change the clutch disc. Ford T5s are 1-1/16" x 10 spline. Fords V8 T5s have a different pilot diameter than Chevy trannies also.
Agreed, the 4 speed tail case will not fit on a T5 since it does not have the pocket for the reverse gears.
Finally, the F-body T5s are geared a lot different than the S-10 T5s.
For example, an F-body V8 T5 has; 2.95 first, 1,94, 1.34, 1, 0.73 fifth
The typicla S-10 box is geared; 4.03 first, 2.37. 1.49, 1, 0.76 fifth
Those are examples, there are many many variations.
Also see www.5speeds.com

Piper106 - cringing newbie

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
When I ran in to this (putting an S10 tailshaft on an F-body T5). I was lucky enough to get a camaro trans that had an output shaft, that had both locations. I didn't realize, they all didn't have it. Live and learn. The Street rodders buy the old S10 trans to get the tailshafts to relocate their shifters forward. The newer GM's used the ford style T5 so there must be a common pilot bearing that fits. Also getting rid of the 1" 14 spline input shaft, gives you a lot larger selection of clutch discs. I've been to 5speeds.com web site before, the have a nice HD T5, but before I'd spend those bucks, I'd get a 6 speed. Their only real market is the 4WD guys, who are stuck with the T5. Normal people aren't going to drive around listening to straight cut gears wine. they do have a lot of info on their site. Piper106, your first link doesn't work, but you can go to inliners.orgs site and find the info. It good to read it from somebody, that actualy did it. I didn't realize, there was such a differance in the S10 gear sets. I know they were lower, but that's a big differance. Welcome to the forum

1 - 20 of 20 Posts