S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my bed off to get rid of my gas tank to prepare for my fuel cell i bought off a fellow s10forum member, and cleaning up my chassis and looking around thinkin of how im going to put this 4 link on my truck, i reliezed this has to be A LOT!!! harder then it looks. It looks like a piece of cake but i have a feeling somewhere im going to goof it up.

I planned on mounting my lower bars to the leaf spring pearch, now if i set my pinion angle to what it needs to be, the lower tabs on the bottom of the axle will be different on every truck correct? or is there a set angle that people go with?

Now the upper bars i planned on connecting them close at the pumpkin and connecting them to the side of my frame rails, i was going to reinforce the frame and box it 4" around where the bar tabs were going to go. Is this enough? and is there any distance the bars need to be from each other on the pumpkin?

Now i have it bagged with leaf springs on it right now so i have bag over axle set up, so im guessing the pinion angle will change with the pushing or pulling of the 4 link. I read in mini truckin that you can just weild the axle to the top of your notch and connect the bars that way to make sure your pinion stays in line, but is that correct?

Any other tips and advice for me before i kill me or my friends or anyone else on the road? Thanks :p

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
are you keeping the bags on top of the notch to the axle ...as well ...make sure you triangulate it correctly ...hey there was someone just doing a 4 link ...check it out ...ill try and find it to ...it will help you ...are you making your own cross bar?? ...or are you welding it to your stock gas x-member?

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
yea I know what you mean ...sadly I am not sure at where you should put your pinion angle ...I guess at the same you would with any link system ...if your tranny is pointing down 4* ..than you should set your diff. upwards 4* ...and wouldnt you be putting the triangulted arms onto the crossmember?? where are you planning on putting them? ...the x-member is in the way

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
here is a pic of a mazda ...do you mean like this?? for the upper bars?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it would go something like that, just was not sure if there is a distance between the two bars for integrity or not

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
I would say the length of the lower bars or a bit more ..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i ment on the pumpkin, he looks like his are a inch or two apart, does it matter how close they are? This is a 4 link its holding my rear end into my truck, there has to be some dimensions that have to stay to keep from the bars twisting or surving no purpose

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand what a 4 link is and how it works, and what they look like and the ways of setting it up, just curious if there is any specs to go by or is it all just make the bars as long as you want and wiled them where you want and hope it holds.

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
On s10's you cant weld to the pumpkin as it is cast iron.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i believe your uppers need to be around 30 degrees. if you know what i mean. thats what i heard. i would also like to know if this is wring or a good estimate.

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
I think my uppers are 16 degrees but im not sure, i would have to check it out and i wouldnt be able to do that until like thursday.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, are leaf spring bushing a bad idea? haha im looking for cheaper costing ways to get this done instead of throwing SD 300 bones

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
They sell bushings, i paid 90 for all the bushings shipped and the steel for the 4 link was like 30 bucks.

·
Registered Asshole
5,823 Posts
Snafu Pimp said:
On s10's you cant weld to the pumpkin as it is cast iron.
You CAN but its not a good idea, You just have to use rod with stainless in them. I have mine on the pumpkin and mine are fine for 4yrs. (knock on wood) lol

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
im not sure, i wanna do a wishbone, but since the top bars are triangulated, im wondering if i need to make them a bit longer so they can reach the same cross member as what the bottom bars are going to connect to. i was told to make mine around 30"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts