S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question....im lowering in the near future my 98 short bed regular cab 2.2.. i want a 4/4 drop because i like the truck to have a little rack to it. ill go with 2 inch drop spindles and 2 inch springs in the front. im wondering if i can use a 4 inch block in the rear without vibration or bad drive shaft angles or any other problems.

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
if you have 3 leafs and an overload pull the one above the overload and get a 2" or a 3" angled block. Pulling the leaf will soften the ride and drop it around 1.5". Will sag a bit more though when towing/hauling.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I pulled a leaf and also have 4" blocks in the back.....there is also 4 deep cycle batteries for the hydraulics and 4 12" subs and a giant enclosure....it rides fine. Little stiff, but nothing thats a huge deal.....but keep in mind its not a daily driver. Hope this helps u a little bit.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have a zq8 on top of 4 in blocks. I could feel axle wrap bad under hard acceleration. Now to some they might not care. But everyone has a different opinion.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found something interesting today. i measured the fender to the floor and came up with 30.25 in the rear and 29.5 in the front....when i did the 3/3 drop on my 95 i measured about 28.5 in the rear and 28 in the front after the drop ....so my next question is do some truck sit higher from the factory excluding the zq8 of course? and also why dont i have the chevy lean on this 98 but had it on my 95?

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
Yes they do. Some trucks don't have the Chevy lean. Both are due to GM engineers being addicted to crack cocaine.

Do you have the same size wheel/tire combo as you did on your 95? You're suppose to get measurements from the center of the hub to the fender lip, not to the floor as that is not accurate due to differences in tire sizes, tread wear, different PSI levels, etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
if its a reg cab you dont need to worry bout angles, but if you have and ex cab then you will need to worry bout the angles.

im running belltech 3 inch leafs and 2.5 inch blocks. after it all settled i hav a 6 inch drop

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
just crush it. go for a 5/7 ;)

itll be easier to get your dirtbike in. lol

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
same tires and wheels actually...
It's just GM then, not all trucks are built exactly the same.

if its a reg cab you dont need to worry bout angles, but if you have and ex cab then you will need to worry bout the angles.
Please enlighten me as to why this is.

·
RaNdOm UsEr
527 Posts
i use the 4" angle blocks (since it is Ext cab), also added some air shocks (for reason if i ever need to haul anything), rides great n smooth
(just fyi which you maybe aware of. makes sure to get rid of the bumpstop brackets)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Please enlighten me as to why this is.
its because the ex cabs hav two drive shafts. if you start going lower than 4 inches w/o an angle then one of the pinon angles gets thrown off and if you you will get vibrations at highway speeeds

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
its because the ex cabs hav two drive shafts. if you start going lower than 4 inches w/o an angle then one of the pinon angles gets thrown off and if you you will get vibrations at highway speeeds
On some s10 ext cabs the pinion angles are already slightly off from the factory which it is common knowledge that the more it is off the more driveline vibration you will experience. So that's why they usually always need angled blocks. On most occasions regular cabs need angled blocks when going lower than 3".
On both reg and ext cabs you are changing the pinion angle no matter how much you drop one, the ext cabs have a shorter 2nd shaft therefore have more severe pinion angles earlier than regular cabs. So you need to worry about pinion angles on both types of trucks. Don't give out information unless you know what you're talking about.

i use the 4" angle blocks (since it is Ext cab)
They only come angled

42,009 Posts
if you aren't 100% clear on the answer to a question, then why the **** do people try to answer it? i don't get it, that's the kind of shit that's making this place suck to be a part of.

and to the OP, my truck had the Z85 option that made it sit a little high in the ass. the front seemed to be the same as any s10 though.

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,613 Posts
yeah I've noticed a lot of noobs just talking out their ass in this section lately

1 - 20 of 30 Posts