S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 V6 TBI 4wd s-10. Recently I was driving on the highway and my #4 fuse blew. Turns out this fuse controls a lot. My transmission lost overdrive which was the first thing I noticed. Then when I got off the highway, I also noticed that my truck was way slow when accelerating, almost like I was towing something. But then it didn't shift...at all. I guess it locked in 3rd for safety. Also, I had my headlights on at the time so my car started beeping like I forgot the headlights after I shut the truck off. Also, the alternator stopped charging. I know because I have a capacitor right behind me with a voltmeter. Now, I've spent hours following wires. I don't want to totally strip the harness but I checked everything that wasn't wrapped in tape. I did try to drive with the gauges out...which works...but then I have no speedo, no gas gauge, and no trip meter. This is going to make guessing my remaining fuel a bit of a challenge. So, what I really need to know is "what does this fuse power?" I am going to check them one by one until I figure it out. A wiring diagram would help immensely. Hopefully not a generic wiring diagram. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, also, the fuse will stay good as long as I don't drive. As in I can sit and idle forever and everything is fine. After I move about 20 feet the fuse blows. I'm gonna say it's not vibration or bumps since the truck vibrates a fair amount when idling and my driveway is long and fairly smooth and I only go about 10-15mph. It's weird. Also, I tried unhooking my O2 sensor since someone said a bad heated O2 can blow fuses...no luck. Then I tried unhooking the speedo at the T-case. Also no luck. I'm thinking coolant sending unit, oil pressure sending unit, or fuel gauge since those are the only gauges in the pod. HELP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know how likely it is that the cluster is bad? Can I test it? I'd rather not buy one just for a trial run...I'm soo poor and aggravated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so it's not the cluster since the fuse still blows with the cluster out. Does anyone out there know what else I can check? I have removed all other unnecessary fuses to make sure another circuit wasn't grounding out to this one but it seems to be just this circuit. Someone who is better at this please help me out

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Alright, so it's not the cluster since the fuse still blows with the cluster out. Does anyone out there know what else I can check? I have removed all other unnecessary fuses to make sure another circuit wasn't grounding out to this one but it seems to be just this circuit. Someone who is better at this please help me out

check my sig for wiring diagrams...click the link as I'm not able to email for a few days.
Do that. trace all wires related to the #4 fuse looking for breaks or cuts in the wires.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
also probably a stupid suggestion, but make sure the fuse you are putting in is the correct amperage. for example, maybe the one you are putting in is too small but the diagram shows a bigger one.

like i said its probably stupid but you never know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed it! For anyone wondering, my problem was where my wiring harness runs near my shifter linkage next to the firewall. The linkage had worn a hole through the plastic wrap and started to wear on the wire causing it to ground to the linkage...but only in drive:rolleyes: A little bit of liquid electrical tape and some gorilla tape to cover it and it's good as new. Just had to pull a bit on the harness to get it about an inch further from the linkage so it won't happen again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.