S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here and I have a 1992 GMC sonoma with a 4.3L in it. Its an SLE long bed 2wd and i was wondering if it could be a vortec and how i could find out...thanks.

cory

·
Registered
619 Posts
yes......but everyone here means VORTEC .... like 96 and up....... it bothers me too....... since vortec heads began in the mid 80s

kadoi.......the newer the head design the better it is...... 86 and up all use the vortech concept

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i was under the impression that L35 heads (between 1992 and 1995 on CPI engine) were the best to modify, and post 1996 heads flowed more stock than previous heads? and i had a 1994 TBI which was NOT Vortec.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It doesn't have to SAY Vortec on the engine to be a vortec.:axe:

·
12,507 Posts
ill check my owners manual when i get home. im pretty sure it says its a non-vortec.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
no no no. 4.3's pre 1996 are tbi. 1996-on are mpi thats the difference and it is a bigggg difference. the vortec haeds on 1996- are already tuned to the point were performance is the maximum it can go stock while the older ones arent. having heads dont mean a thing. the vortec comes from the engine block itself.

·
12,507 Posts
um...the heads are what is vortec. all 4.3L blocks for dimes are the same. and some per 1996's are CPI, which is arguably the best design.

·
Registered
619 Posts
TruStinger said:
no no no. 4.3's pre 1996 are tbi. 1996-on are mpi thats the difference and it is a bigggg difference. the vortec haeds on 1996- are already tuned to the point were performance is the maximum it can go stock while the older ones arent. having heads dont mean a thing. the vortec comes from the engine block itself.
Some people have NO CLUE! guess hemis are just engine blocks too...... ever look at the difference between a "vortec" block and the first 4.3 block they made..... only differences would be counter balancer and one piece rear main
Neither improved HP by very much, the balancer improved longevity of the motor and the one piece rear main sealed better

Yes the newer heads are better as most technology gets over time, but since mid 80s almost ALL 4.3 heads used vortec design, it just got better with time. GM didn't market it until they began to see the superiority and capabilities that the heads had, in the early 90s. The FI system makes a big difference too, probably close to if not more difference then the heads themself.

The LB35s are cpi heads. As far as I know they come in only the 12 bolt intake style and are a direct boltup to the older tbi intakes. I have them on my truck. The combustion chamer looks almost identical if not identical and the intake runners are slightly modified in a couple ways... i really dont know how much better they flow. They feel smoother than the old heads i had but who knows..... i dont have a dyno

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 95 tbi's valve covers say VORTEC on them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info. I was just wondering becuase I new the Vortec heads flowed much better but i now know that they came in 88' up 4.3L. Im glad the heads are good because they are going to be pushed pretty hard with the new T04B42 Garrett turbo i got. :)

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
If your valve covers are composite and say vortec.Then they are actually lb35 heads.GM is famous for left overs from one year to the next.They used lb35 heads on the 94 and 95 TBI's because they had already quit making the lb4's that came on early TBI's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK HERES THE LOWDOWN. CHEVY PUT THE 4.3 IN S-10 PLATFORM (S-10,S-15,BLAZER,JIMMY,AND ASTRO) IN 1988, THIS ALSO APPLYS TO THE FULLSIZE TRUCKS. THOSE WERE THROTTLE BODY MOTORS (TBI).

FROM 88-91 THEY WERE NON BALANCE SHAFT MOTORS. THE BALANCE SHAFT WAS PUT IN IN 92 TO SMOOTH OUT THE ENGINE. BUT EVERY THING ELSE STAYED THE SAME UNTILL 95. THATS WHEN THEY STOPPED PUTTING THE TBI MOTORS IN ANYTHING.

THOSE ARE NOT VORTEC MOTORS AT ALL NO MATER WHAT THE VALVE COVERS SAY. THE COVERS ARE A THREE CENTER BOLT DESIGN, LIKE THE V8 BUT WITH ONE LESS BOLT. MY 98 HAS THE COMPOSITE PLASTIC COVERS AND I CAN PUT THEM ON AN 88 TBI MOTOR IF I WANT. IN 94 AND 95 CHEVY PUT THE COMPOSITE VORTEC COVERS ON THE TBI MOTORS FROM THE FACTORY BUT THOSE MOTORS DONT HAVE ANY DIFFRENCES (LIKE THE HEADS) AT ALL FROM THE OLDER MOTORS.

ALL TBI MOTORS HAVE A VIN CODE Z. THE ONLY EXCEPTION FOR THE VIN IS THE SYCLONE AND TYPHOON THEY ALSO HAVE A VIN CODE Z.

THE VORTEC MOTOR CAME OUT IN 92 AND WAS UNCHANGED UNTILL 1995. HEADS ARE DIFFERENT AND THE INDUCTION SETUP IS DIFFERENT ITS CALLED CENTRAL MULTIPORT FUEL INJECTION (CMFI). IT HAD THE SILVER OR BLACK UPPER INTAKE THAT SAID VORTEC IN ORANGE LETTERS. THOSE WERE VIN W MOTORS.

IN 96 CHEVY COMPLETELY REDESIGNED THE 4.3 FROM THE OIL PAN UP TO THE INTAKE. THOSE WERE CENTRAL SEQUENTIAL FUEL INJECTION (CSFI). THOSE HAD A VIN OF Z AND W THEY ARE IDENTICAL JUST WITH DIFFERENT COMPUTER PROGRAMS FOR HORSEPOWER. W BEING THE H.O. MOTOR. THE TERM VORTEC ON THE 4.3 IS MORE FOR THE INDUCTION SETUP RATHER THAN THE HEAD DESIGN.

·
Vicious Kustoms
148 Posts
i have a 92 with a w in the vin and my motors the bad ass one with vortec wrote on top the motor. some people have told me that i couldnt have that motor cuase it wasnt used untill 94. i dont really care but felt like posting.

15,113 Posts
mxerup876 said:
i have a 92 with a w in the vin and my motors the bad ass one with vortec wrote on top the motor. some people have told me that i couldnt have that motor cuase it wasnt used untill 94. i dont really care but felt like posting.
actually, they meant 96, not 94.

either way, you have a L35 motor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How 'bout yall go to the GM home page and click on Vortec and read the info yourself. Peace:rock: :banghead: :thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
sorry, just trying to help

1 - 20 of 42 Posts