S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a strange situation. The car starts fine. Idles perfectly. But the second I hit the gas pedal the idle drops down and basically stalls out. If I slam the gas pedal, the engine will hesitate then rev up. When the RPMs drop back down there's a studder then it stalls out.

a few weeks ago, i deleted that carbon canister that brings the fuel vapors and plumbs it back into the Throttle Body. The truck drove fine for several weeks(driven only a few times) so I assume that has nothing to do with it.

I replaced the fuel filter hoping that we resolve the issue but it didn't change anything.

Are there any suggestions? I was thinking this is a fueling issue. But now I'm wondering if there might be a vacuum leak or something else.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
fuel pressure check. and since you said you moved stuff underneath the truck- get ready to pull the bed- its could just be a bad ground you disturbed..... or the pump is going, going,......

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Why did you remove the charcoal canister?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel pressure check. and since you said you moved stuff underneath the truck- get ready to pull the bed- its could just be a bad ground you disturbed..... or the pump is going, going,......
Where do i tap into the fuel rail to check pressure? The only location i see is where the fuel line goes to the Throttle Body. which means i'd have to build a T fitting with gauge to check the pressure. Does that sound right?
I didn't move anything under the truck to have affected the electrical system. AND why would the truck start and idle if it was an electrical issue?

Why did you remove the charcoal canister?
Mine was installed in the engine bay. It was ugly and constantly getting in the way. I did some searching on these forums and it seemed like lots of people eliminated this canister. I don't have to worry about emissions for this truck, so i didn't think it was a big deal

·
time to get cereal
3,359 Posts
Unburned fuel vapor (hydrocarbons) is not very good for you to breath in, and one of the worst pollutants a gas vehicle puts out. It's your health I guess.

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
Registered Gun Owner
54 Posts
Check to see if carb is opening when you push gas. Had a 74 impala that acted up similar. Turned out carb was not opening and mixture was off causing it to due. Easy fix was a hair clip to keep it open. Otherwise check your timing. Could be coincidence it happened now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unburned fuel vapor (hydrocarbons) is not very good for you to breath in, and one of the worst pollutants a gas vehicle puts out. It's your health I guess.
DANG! you took this discussion way off topic.
I am plan on reinstalling the canister to see if the problem goes away. If that does resolve the issue, I might try and find something smaller and less conspicuous.

·
time to get cereal
3,359 Posts
Not sure if it's that far off topic.... hacked up vehicle = inevitable driveability issues.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
1- most of us the charcoal filter/vapor recovery unit is in the rear- near the tank- thought you might have banged around and disturbed the pump or its wiring. 2- there should be a shrader fitting in your fuel line - looks like an air valve.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1- most of us the charcoal filter/vapor recovery unit is in the rear- near the tank- thought you might have banged around and disturbed the pump or its wiring. 2- there should be a shrader fitting in your fuel line - looks like an air valve.
I agree. This is what I'm used to seeing. But I don't see a valve anywhere. See picture below
IMG_2049.JPG

As a little background since i don't post here much. My truck is actually a 1939 Ford pickup on a 1991 S10 chassis. I've owned it for 10 years now, but didn't building. I've upgraded and maintained things over the years. Now, i'm tearing it apart in stages and fixing all the body work and repainting eventually.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
I believe you have to get an adapter for the TBI engine to check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cool looking truck! I don't know if this will help you but had a similar problem with my 2003 4.3 Sonoma. It starts and idles fine but it had no power when I gave it some gas. Top speed 40 mph on the freeway (very dangerous). I had a brand new fuel pump in it that had been working fine for the previous 3 weeks. I had to have someone else look at it and the catalytic converter was plugged. I replaced it and it runs like a top.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool looking truck! I don't know if this will help you but had a similar problem with my 2003 4.3 Sonoma. It starts and idles fine but it had no power when I gave it some gas. Top speed 40 mph on the freeway (very dangerous). I had a brand new fuel pump in it that had been working fine for the previous 3 weeks. I had to have someone else look at it and the catalytic converter was plugged. I replaced it and it runs like a top.
No cats on my truck.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,100 Posts
well- '91 . still would start with pressure check- might need to add that "t" and the adapter to do the test- but it could be time to rebuild/replace those old ass injectors.OR since your in a rebuilld phase- up you game and upgrade the engine- all on your budget what you do. NIce looking build- how bout some walk around shots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this helps and you probably already checked. I had close to same experience on my s10 and was the rotor button inside the distributor cap. Sweet ride you own

1 - 16 of 16 Posts