S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new truck, its a 4.3L "high out-put" vortec, with the zq8 suspension and reg cab. I`ve got a problem, i guess its a problem, but when I quick shift from 1st to second i spin my tires for about 2 seconds, and about half that into 3rd. Is that bad? Is it slowing me down? I shift pretty damn fast, am i going to fast? I`ve got 245/50 ZR good year eagle f1 steel tires. They`ve got about 10,000 miles left on them and about ready for a rotate. :monkeypee

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhh... sometimes i cant really tell what rpms im shifting at.. my hand is in the way of bascially evertying... i need one of those ricer tachs but there kinda ricerish.. but i try to shift at like 5000rpms, sometimes i shift later

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
2nd and 3rd gear rubber on the street is cool, you aren't doing anything wrong or bad, you're just shifting like a bad ass mutha f'er!

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Do any of you guys miss a gear sometimes? I've never missed a gear in any other car but I've missed the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts like 10 times in my truck.....almost feels like there is some resistence in the gate or something. Any of you guys know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
321 Posts
My quess is that with the long throw,your foot is faster then your hand.Try preloading the shifter,push or pull,it in the direction your shifting.It won't move until you push in the clutch.When you do it should fall right in.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a really great tip randy... never thought about that, im sure that works great. ill have to try that. german xtreme i hate when i miss shift, i think ive only done it once so far.. its fun though when you quick shift and the back end dips and twists!

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Well I can't really agree with Randy about preloading the shifter as you most likely can get it to shift without the clutch, wouldn't want to do that at all though. I have missed a few shifts, primarily it happens when the revs are too high and the synchro's don't grab, these are after all truck transmissions and do not like to shift quickly at anything over 5 grand, it gives mega resistance like there is a steel plate in the way of the next gear!

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Well I can't really agree with Randy about preloading the shifter as you most likely can get it to shift without the clutch, wouldn't want to do that at all though. I have missed a few shifts, primarily it happens when the revs are too high and the synchro's don't grab, these are after all truck transmissions and do not like to shift quickly at anything over 5 grand, it gives mega resistance like there is a steel plate in the way of the next gear!

Thanks man, its alot clearer now. Guess I'm still new to the truck thing. Know of any difference the short throw shifters will make? I heard alot of the components in our are plastic :gayflag:

·
Registered
742 Posts
summit sells short through shifters for our trucks. I have missed 3rd a couple of times, never second. I have shifted too quickly a couple times and had the truck in 2nd before I had the clutch in (power shifting) unfortunately. Today at the track, I missed 3rd and went straight into 5th, then had to go back to 3rd, and I was still able to pull a 15.7. That was my worst all day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
MINTSICK said:
I wasn't saying to rip the shifter out of the floor before you push in the clutch.The wife has a 92 camaro RS 305 5 speed (dog).I would always miss 3rd.A mustang racer turned me on to that trick works everytime.

Also,as long as your on the gas the gears will stay meshed together if you let off they will release,and let the shifter fall out of gear.Try it at low rpm and see if it works w/truck transmissions.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
h

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
RANDY406 said:
I wasn't saying to rip the shifter out of the floor before you push in the clutch.The wife has a 92 camaro RS 305 5 speed (dog).I would always miss 3rd.A mustang racer turned me on to that trick works everytime.

Also,as long as your on the gas the gears will stay meshed together if you let off they will release,and let the shifter fall out of gear.Try it at low rpm and see if it works w/truck transmissions.
I personally just wouldn't want to do it, shifting without the clutch there is really no reason for, we aren't talking a nascar road racing here, but that's cool that it works in the 305 dog. The short throw shifter is a great investment, one of my favorite mods, I have the B&M and the throws were reduced by about 40%, finding gears is much easier once you get used to the feel of it, highly recommended.

Obrien I find your 1/4 times interesting, [email protected] with a 2.34 60', seems basically impossible to me especially when you have a proven 156rwhp. I mean I can't even get my truck to dip any lower than 2.4 60's because of major traction problems, but even with a best of 2.38 that still equated to a [email protected] I would like to gain that .7 and 5 mph that you got, what is the secret or are you just leaving out mods that you have? I am not flaming you either, I would really like to know.

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
obrien i find that 100% hard to believe, what is the sea-level there, no way you ran that time with those mods. Anyone who is not an idiot will realize that too, lets see some timeslips and videos. Especially with a 2.34 60'. I got a 2.30 60' with a lot of tire spin and gear rubber in 2nd and 3rd and best of a 15.7 so far. 92mph with your mods, i dont believe you a bit. Also, i have missed gears many times, i hate it, its over reving and it sucks when you do it cause it makes you feel like you've way over reved it!

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
MINTSICK said:

Obrien I find your 1/4 times interesting, [email protected] with a 2.34 60', seems basically impossible to me especially when you have a proven 156rwhp. I mean I can't even get my truck to dip any lower than 2.4 60's because of major traction problems, but even with a best of 2.38 that still equated to a [email protected] I would like to gain that .7 and 5 mph that you got, what is the secret or are you just leaving out mods that you have? I am not flaming you either, I would really like to know.
Im not 100% believing his times either, but there is an explanation for your question. Hes got a regular cab, you got an extended cab. Fairly simple to understand. Are you racing with a speaker box and extra weight like that?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea id like to know how the hell he gets a 15.1 also.. I TRIED racing my buddy tonight, hes got a auto 2 dr civic ex, I eat him up all the time but we raced from a dead stop tonight, Sadly enough he beat me. I spun to about 3grand then i had to left off and peddle it then i shifted to second and the back end went crazy so i had to again let off, then i missed 3rd.. sounds like a beauty race eh?

·
Registered
321 Posts
MINTSICK said:
I personally just wouldn't want to do it, shifting without the clutch there is really no reason for, we aren't talking a nascar road racing here,

I can't beleive this has become so hard to explain.You don't shift without the clutch.All you do is,lean on the shifter before you clutch it.When you do clutch it, the shifter will move in the direction you are leaning,giving you a head start agianst your foot.

Altitude where Obrien is running is 50'

Check my sig. you think I got that fast without trying something new occasionally.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
97S10SS, I understand what the problem is with my times, traction. I was only stating my times to show that I ran .7 slower and pulled the same 60' that he did. Also, I have more mods than he does, I know I have an ex cab with a sub box, but my brother has the same exact truck as Obrien with similar mods that I have and he is 1 tenth faster than I am, so his differences, if they are real, come from elsewhere. I know I will never see a 92 mph trap speed with the mods I have now, I don't see how he can be pulling that type of speed with just tb mod, egr, exhaust, and pullies. Another good argument, look at your mods and your times, they seem real to me and your trap speed is right on for what you run. I would just like to know if he is running other mods that he isn't listing, again not flaming.

Randy, I understand what you are saying, my point is that I wouldn't bother with that technique because you could definitely end up pulling it out of gear by leaning on it, not saying it would happen everytime, just that I wouldn't bother with it, it's easy enough to find the gear, the trans just doesn't want to let you change to that gear at higher rpm's most of the time. What are the stats on your 82? Nice times by the way.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What are the stats on your 82? Nice times by the way. [/B][/QUOTE]
Go to dragtruk.com it's listed there under #21, w/some pics.Just click on my name.I have no idea how to make a link,computer stupid!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts