S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ford Diesel Tech
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my 4.3L TBI V6 in my 1991 Pickup started smoking slightly and it smells like burning oil. Also ive got a rocker arm tapping so ive got a 4.3L out of a 1992 pickup im going to rebuild and put in my truck. So here are the parts im looking at
MSD blaster coil
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8226/
sealed power 4.060" bore rebuild kit forged pistons
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MHP121-600/
eagle h beam rods
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-570063D/
comp cams duration 272/276 lift .479/.488
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3714/
my friend has a set of comp cams 1.6 RAR roller rocker arms out of a 305 he'd sell to me for $80
ive also got a set of rebuilt heads that were rebuilt approximately 8 years ago but were never used they were wrapped in a garbage bag and put in the rafters of my buddys shop

im pushing for 350 Ft. Lbs. N/A im not concerned with horsepower since the 4.3L is more of a torquer motor than a horsepower motor
i also want to build it so that if a decide to spray it or go forced induction on it i want it to be able to hold up to it a 150HP NX shot is the biggest i would go on the truck bc it is my daily

if there are any better ways or some cheaper alternatives to doing this please give me your input, and i dont want to do a 350 swap its become very common and if i ever put a V8 in this truck it would be a 5.3L but this will be a good alternative for the time being

·
Ford Diesel Tech
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody have any input at all

·
Mafia Customz
748 Posts
well alot of 350 stuff will work on the 4.3 like the rods if you get just the right kind thay will work. I havent found a proformance crank but if you get all the specs of a 4.3 you can check them against the 5.7 rods, lifters, timing chain, rockers, and you can have the 2 bolt main 4.3 centerline tapped and turn it into a 4 bolt main makes it stronger holds more power. Thats about all the info i know other thin boring out the cylinders .030 over with 6.000 rods make it a 4.6 283ci.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
for 350 ft-lbs of torque you're going to want to get some good work done to the heads and get a custom cam grind, I think it's pretty doable with those mods and some bolts ons and a tune. I'd say it's near impossible without changing the cam/doing headwork

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
goodluck

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
you're going to need about $2000 to really make it happen unless you can machine heads yourself, and forget about nitrous unless you want to double that number and change

you've got some pretty high demands, I'd just hunt down a 5.3L and build it up before you drop it in

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
you'll need a healthy shot of nitrous to come
anywhere near that goal with a 4.3 on a budget.
sorry, but thats just a fact...

·
Registered
269 Posts
First, don't do .060 over unless it's really needed for the rebuild. Second, you don't need to worry about stronger rods when all you have planned so far is a cam and coil.

You will need to do something about better heads and induction. Are you keeping TBI?

Lastly, the reason V8 swaps are so common is because GM should have done it in the first place. You really can't complain that people are doing what they have wanted since the beginning.

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
if i had to do it all over again id do a v8...vortec v8 or lsx 5.3

or just go with a bigger cam lower compression and a S/C on my v6 :)

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
At the crank, yea. At the rear wheels. Doubt it. The 4.3 has a very flat torque curve and lots down low, but it doesnt make alot of torque N/A. The torque number doesnt increase near as much as horsepower does when you start adding parts. You would need to spend the big money on all the expensive parts to get close.

I made 203ft.lbs. stock but made it to 311ft.lbs. on 75 shot. After I added a cam, I gained 43hp but only 7 foot lbs. of torque to put me at 211 ft lbs.

Seabast19 only made 288ft. lbs. @ 4900rpm. but made 506ft.lbs. on only 100 shot.

Hot Rod only made [email protected] on an engine dyno.

Even if you did a 5.3 swap, you would need a cam and full bolt ons to make 350, even then your gonna make around 330-340. Which is pretty close.

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
Those parts you listed would be a great addition to a rebuild, it would for sure give you some more power to help satisfy you. I dont think you need to go all the way out .060 tho. Unless your really really planning boost or nitrous, not really a reason to drop the coin on the rods, spend that money on some headwork and get more power.

Rebuild, some mild headwork, nice cam, intake and some longtubes, I think would run good and satisfy you, but I would not expect 350ft.lbs. More like 230rwhp and 260ft.lbs. at the wheels. Which would be enough to take a regular cab into the mid-low 14s, in some cases 13's with a converter. Add the bottle or some boost and youd be in the 12's on a normal-good pass with everything set up correctly.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Nitrous is about the only way your going to attain 350ft/lbs on a budget.

Thats just the reality of it.

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
^^^^ Agreed with above. If you wanna spend mad cash it can be done. If on the other hand your on a budget not gonna happen unless you know a magic trick us few crazy people on here don't know.:D

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
^^^^ Agreed with above. If you wanna spend mad cash it can be done. If on the other hand your on a budget not gonna happen unless you know a magic trick us few crazy people on here don't know.:D
Enlighten me.

·
Ford Diesel Tech
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
my baseline was the blueprint engines marine 4.3L 262 hp 300 ft lbs on stock displacement 4" pistons but yeah i was lookin for 350 at the crank not the wheels

m pretty much my main reason for rebuilding the 6 is for gas mileage and swap time because till i get a 2nd vehicle this is my dd so the longest it can be decomissioned is only a couple of days and i can have an engine out and replaced in about 6 1/2 hours if there is no fabrication required

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
350 at the cranks is roughly 265 at the wheels. Thats a little more doable. But swap time will be down, but so will your gas mileage. Basically to get anywhere close your gonna need to raise the compression. A good set of 10.5:1 flat tops with a full custom cam no off the self with head work so everything works is what your gonna need. Being thats it a 91 and to help swap time and cost see if you can get a set of 94 -95 heads. They still have the 6 bolt pattern so your intake and stuff will still bolt on, but they flow better then your 91's and 2.02 1.60 valves drop right in compared to your 91s.Just need to change guides and seals. ANd you can have them built while keeping the truck running. Go .030 over do not go .060

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.