S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Off Roadin' Jimmy
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a couple guys that their 4.3's run much better than mine, and they are all stock like mine. Anyone know what I should look for/change to give my motor a chance to show off what it really can do? thanx
-=SHADES=-

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just read all the V-6 posts, you'll find something that'll work. Victor, NY. Hum, is that anyplace near Eastview Mall, I could give you a hand with some mods. And I can show your friends how another 4.3 near you can run.

·
Registered
508 Posts
All my mods have worked really well. I also just advanced the timing 4 degrees and that made a big difference. Throttle responce is better and the engine and transmission seem to be working together alot better.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Also another big problem is that the torque peak of the W engine is 3600 rpm and most of these trucks came with the economy 3.42 gears. Im going to switch to 3.73s soon.

·
Off Roadin' Jimmy
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My friend is good with 5 point slow ford motors :bash:, so I'll ask him if he can figure out how to advance mine. :drinkhaha: I just put in new plugs in it, and I felt a difference.
Anyone know what the base timing of the 4.3 is? I saw to go 4 degrees, but from what?

I think that Eastview Mall is the one near me. My parents just moved there in August, and I've been in Boston, Ma for college since the beginning of Sept, so I don't know the area too well yet. My parent's house is 5 min from the NYS Thruway exit 44. I know Medic3247 is around Rochester area too. That would be great if ya helped out. I don't know too much about them. I'll be back in Victor around the 20th. I just noticed you are from Western NY. My hometown was in the Town of Evans. What area are you from?
-=SHADES=-

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's the old question....

How much do you want to spend? The more you spend (throw into a dark pit, it's easier) the quicker you can make your ride. The first performance mods suggested are usually your basic bolt-ons, intake, exhaust, chip or programmer, ignition, gears, underdrive pulleys, electric fan. It gets more expensive when you start going internal with cams, roller rockers, lifters, head work. I've spent enough money that I could have had a really quick F-Body Camaro or Firebird instead I have Tank that is just a little quicker than other Tanks. If it's true speed, quickness and performance your looking for...you're working with the wrong platform. But if it's infected you, you're proud of your truck and enjoy doing a lot of the work yourself... then have a blast! I have the same engine as you. The timing is set to "0" degrees while the timing connector (tan plastic connector under the passenger firewall carpet) is disconnected. You line up the second mark on the crankshaft damper pulley with the timing mark on the block (looks like a raised V). When you reconnect the timing connector the computer takes control of timing advance. Don't advance the timing manually youself unless you want to have detonation at WOT which will activate the two Knock Sensors that will then retard timing again. If you want advanced performance timing get an aftermarket chip that has more aggressive but safe WOT timing curves programmed in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts