S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now I have a 95 S-10 with a 2.2 and I would like to do a swap for a 4.3. the reason I dont want to do a v8 is becuase of gas mileage and it would be harder. I want to find a wrecked 4.3 that I can buy and pull all the parts from. Would this work. How much should I expect to pay for a wrecked 4.3 with under 60,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
the swap to a v8 would be just about as difficult as to a v6. And if you were going to do anything to the 4.3, such as a s/c or t/c then gas mileage would be close if not lower than with a v8.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
A 2.2 to 4.3 will be just as difficult as 2.2 to V8. IMO, go with the V8. Gas mileage will be about the same if you are a conservative driver.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what to do with all of the wireing for the 4.3, but if I put a v8 from , say a camaro or ford, In there I dont know what do do with all of the wires, I know the stock s-10 comp wont run it, but If I put the v8's comp in then I have to redo everything else, such as the gages and stuff.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at that Lee's page and it looks like an engine swap is going to run be about 8-12grand. I thought 4grand would cover it. How much of the stuff that they have there would I have to use. How much $$$$ am I looking at?

·
Aviation Ordnanceman
201 Posts
Just curious as to how a V6 swap is even close to as difficult as a V8 swap. I mean you can get a complete 4.3, accessories and wiring from a wrecked truck for pretty cheap. Now a V8 you need new mounts, the correct wiring harness, accessories, radiator, fans, headers.

why go through all of that with a V8 when you can just PULL out a 4.3 from one truck and put in yours.

Hell I want to find a Sy/Ty motor and mount a T-56 behind it. I'm willing to try anything though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm gonna bump this, instead of making a new thread. Don't bother telling me a V8 swap is easier, if I wanted a V8 i'd buy a fullsize ;) I just heard a lot of bad things about the 2.2, and don't want want to sell my truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok check this out. I just did exactly the thing your looking to do. I bought a 4.3 V6 with everything out of a recked 98. I spent about $2000 for the entire package (Engine, Trans, Computer, Wiring, Radiator, Everything) the dude I buy my crap from will send everything to you in that price or there about. Is it a good idea? Well consider your state regulations, MIssissippi? doubt you'll face any. And as far as my swap goes, fits like a glove... With a V8 you'll face the same time issue with a 6 but have a few more trouble spots than just getting a stock 6 that fits factory. I have had very little issues except for the one I'm facing now. He is called S-10Wharehouse on e-bay. I'll see if I can grab u a link here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts