S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2000 ls 4wd 4.3l v6 regular cab fleetside
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty young and I previously got an s10 and have owned it for quite a while now, its the 4wd v6 and I was wondering about installing a turbo or even compound. I'm not very mechanically knowledgeable but I do have family that I know do this daily. Wondering how I might go about this.

· Registered
2000 ls 4wd 4.3l v6 regular cab fleetside
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm also aware of motor swapping which I'm not against at all but I would like to stick to the v6 as much as I can. I'll likely to a rebuild on it if I end up on a final decision to keep it.

· Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
321 Posts
Now’s the time to do all your research. It will take longer than you think, and you’ll probably revise your plans as you go (and learn).

I have this book and it gives a pretty good overview;

Used ones can be found cheaper, just do a Search for that title. Also check your local library for similar books.

Good turbos aren’t cheap, and I’m not aware of any kits being offered so you’ll have to do your own engineering.

Don’t be tempted to try a salvage yard turbo to cut costs! Those turbo systems were engineered for the engine they were mounted on, which is likely to be far different than your application. Plus it’s a used and worn turbo.

I don’t know what the compression ratio is in a 4.3L but 9:1 is pretty high for a turbo application. IIRC a factory turbo car is usually around 8.3 to 8.5 :1. An unnaturally aspirated engine runs best with a cam with wider lobe centers, say around 112 degrees or so.

· I turn.
2,648 Posts
I have manifolds, cross-over, new down pipe, and new turbo for sale - PM me if you want. Syclone/Typhoon stuff bolts up easily to a 4wd, it's the fuel system that's more complicated. What year is the truck?

· Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Sounds like a great idea! Boosted 6 is great

As for the 9.0 compression ratio being too high... it's not an issue

Reactions: Joe Cool
1 - 8 of 8 Posts