S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. i have a 91 transmission out of a blazer that i have in my 88 S10(with a 4.3) and i was wondering if it will bolt up to and work with a 1980 5.7 thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, it will bolt up and work, but the question is for how long... I currently have that setup in my blazer. It still works. Not very well though, the tranny slips pretty bad going into second gear and i imagine that it wouldn't have been long for the tranny to go had the motor not went first.....

·
Registered
619 Posts
the 4.3 trannies are the same as the 5.7 trannies........ the only reason for them to wear out faster with a 5.7 is because increased abuse, already worn out, or stock tranny with a built motor...

what im saying is.... if your tranny is in good operating condition and your putting in a stock 350 and dont plan on beating the crap out of it.... the tranny will hold up...

if your tranny is worn already and you bolt a 350 up to it.... its only going to wear out faster...... or if you put all your money into a built 350 and dont put any money in your tranny you just wasted your money on the 350 because the tranny is going to waste the added hp by slipping and not performing as it should and just wear out faster.

you can have the meanest motor in the world but if it isn't backed up by a good tranny it aint worth crap

·
Registered
181 Posts
meeh350 said:
the 4.3 trannies are the same as the 5.7 trannies........ the only reason for them to wear out faster with a 5.7 is because increased abuse, already worn out, or stock tranny with a built motor...

what im saying is.... if your tranny is in good operating condition and your putting in a stock 350 and dont plan on beating the crap out of it.... the tranny will hold up...

if your tranny is worn already and you bolt a 350 up to it.... its only going to wear out faster...... or if you put all your money into a built 350 and dont put any money in your tranny you just wasted your money on the 350 because the tranny is going to waste the added hp by slipping and not performing as it should and just wear out faster.

you can have the meanest motor in the world but if it isn't backed up by a good tranny it aint worth crap

The trannies are the same with respect to the case only. The internals are different. A 4.3 trany has less clutch packs, and will not hold up to the abuse that a small block can dish out. it is "light duty". So yes, if you don't "beat the crap out of it" than it can be made to last. My tranny has lasted so far for 2 months, with a slightly built 350, and me beating it/nursing it. If you don't want to pull the tranny later on down the line, (because you will be beating it at one time or another) than do it right, and either get your tranny built to take the torque, or put a factory small block tranny in there..... (but still build the factory tranny...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts