S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been snooping around the forum here but not really finding the answer I'm looking for. Here's the deal. 2002 S-10 Ext Cab 4.3 4x4 with a 0411 pcm and I do have HPTuners. And I did see the main sticky, but that thread is 11 years old. I'm looking for fresh/new information.

My goal is to either put in a Gen 3 5.3 liter or a Gen 1 5.7 liter. I seen someone post on here that the 5.7 is easier to install than the 5.3? If true, then what exactly is the difference?

If I am staying with an engine close to my current year, If I read correctly somewhere, that only 2 wires need to be added to the harness for the obvious extra injectors? Or do I need to completely redo the entire harness?

Another question. Swap kits. Only thing I need to complete a swap is engine brackets, manifolds and oil pan. What is a good source for this kit? Again, I have seen multiple sources for kits and want to spend money on only what I need. E-fans, I can pickup from junkyard.

My level of mechanicship? I'd say I'm pretty handy with an impact, I destroy tools to make different tools. I have gone through more engines in my Bonneville than I care to admit. I have removed the 4L60-E to replace the sun gear in my S10 with no problems. :haha:

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
ive read on here that if you take any motor your year or newer than the vehicle and can meet the engines emission requirements your legal.(correctme if im wrong) so in you case being an 02 i would go with an 02 or newer 5.3. you can have your harness altered or a new one made to plug in from current performance

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
the vortec motor would be easier than a lsx 5.3. reason being the vortec 5.7 is about 95% the same as you current 4.3 the 5.3 shares nothing to the 4.3.

if you go 5.3 you will need a new harness, see CPW, he has conversion harness's. IF you go 5.7 you have to add like 6 wires to your existing harness and possibly extend a few wires here and there.

your trans will hook up perfectly to the 5.7 as with the 5.3 it wont hook up 100%.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It really comes down to your budget and what you want from the end result. The LS motor has advantages when completed but the cost is a factor. As far as ease of installation the 5.7 will be very straight forward and like mentioned already it's not a big deal to go 5.7 from the 4.3. My plan is to go from 2.2 to 5.7 which is a little more of a headache but if I didn't already have the whole 5.7 truck I would have just done a 5.3 or 6.0 and been done with it. Eventually I probably will anyways but i'm trying to keep a low budget right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies guys. Right now I'm looking at spending right around a grand for this project. I can get just about any engine from the junkyard for around $200, plus another $100 for them to remove it. Believe me, as many times as I have pulled engines from the junkyard, $100 is well worth it for them to do it. And I don't think I'm going to find any LS based engines at the yard. So, I'm stuck with the 5.7 Vortec which is fine by me.

So your saying with the 5.7, I won't need the swap kits that have the exhaust manifolds, brackets or oil pan?

Wiring is fun. I already have a subscription to Alldata.

Oh, I forgot. I'm not looking to drag this or anything, more of a sleeper mod like what I did to my Bonneville.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You will need either V8 swap headers or some run 80's F-body or G body stock manifolds. On my last swap I started with headers but they pissed me off so much that I found a set of manifolds from a late 80s monte carlo/el camino and used them. Much quieter than headers and no leaks. The only thing with doing manifolds is that you're gonna need a motor with passenger side dipstick because the manifolds block the dipstick hole on the driver side. Oil pan should be fine stock. It may require minor notching of the crossmember but other than that should work. Then the only other things are the V8 mounting plates and your cooling system.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
not a 5.3, but a 5.7.

that kit says 4wd only also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was the one who posted that about only needing the 2 pins and it is stupid easy to do and as the others have said your motor is a 5.7 w 2 cylinders missing so that means all of your accessories will swap over with ease. I was telling another guy I have a step by step very detailed pictured guide. I got it from when I did my zr2 years back another zr2 owner did it and it took all the guess work out of the game. The other nice thing is when I did it again in a 2wd there was even more room and less bs than the zr2 had to deal with. Let me know if you want a copy I can copy it all and mail it to you I did it for another guy on my off road forum. He said it was the best help he ever got. I might see if I can get it uploaded as a downloadable PDF so everyone on here can use it. As far as I'm concerned a must have guid to going 5.7 vortec

·
Registered
78 Posts
http://www.marquisphotos.com//ZR2_Blazer/V8ZR2/
Here you go I found the original link read thru this. The guy made it very easy for everyone and the only thing I'll see may be diff is like the custom oil pan not necessary on a 2wd usually my last two I used stock pans off the donor motor and to keep the ac on my last one by my current doesn't have it I just used the trans-dapt swap mounts and put the engine as low in the cradle as possible. A cowl hood though would make it easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I got a Vortec 350 the other day. It's in the garage now.

Thank you for the info so far, but I'm still seeing conflicting information with the oil pan. Some say the stock 350 pan will fit a 4x4 with a little dimpling of the pan, others not.

So, because I'm 4x4, that kit I posted above should work for my application?

·
Wanna Play a Game?
823 Posts
No that kit will not work. I bought it 4 months ago and it is for the old skool Chevy blocks. I just did my blazer 4x4 swap. Yes it says 1982 to 2004 but they lie. Look at my build, it will be very similar to what you will need to do. Sorry no link but I trust you can find it. Go with the milodon s10 4x4 swap oil pan for the 82-04 350 block, high volume oil pump, new pick up tube, buy the mounts and headers from JTR because I hear nothing but good things, you may have to move your radiator forward, I had to but I've heard others got away without doing it, reuse 4.3 accessories, your truck may already have the silver 411 pcm in it so all you would have to do is add a few extra injector wires and some e fan wires and just have someone throw an express van tune on it and pretty much away you go. Let me know if you got any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts