S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this and didn't really find what I was looking for. Anyway, I am in the process of looking for a 1st gen Blazer/Jimmy. I have located a 92 Blazer somewhat local and am going to take a look at it tomorrow. It has 151k on it and is really clean for the age and miles. If everything checks out the seller said he would take 1k cash for it. I asked for more pics the other day and a shot of the engine bay. To my disappointment I noticed it was the 4.3 TBI motor and not the CPI motor. Not that it is a huge deal but I have read that the TBI motor is a dog and the CPI power is much greater.

So my questions are these. Should the fact that the Blazer has the TBI motor should that deter me from buying it if it checks out ok? Is the power difference THAT noticeable? I will not be pulling anything with the truck and it will be my winter DD. I know that the CPI has some issues but I am always wanting the bigger motor offered as a personal preference, ha. Just looking for some opinions from people who have a TBI motor or from people who have driven both.

Thanks.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
the CPI have driven several TBI s10 and my 94 has a CPI engine and I would. You are ok with the TBI.

CPI also has a slighly bigger cam than a TBI. you can put a CPI engine in a TBI truck. You just have to shave the bottom of the intake to make it clear the balance shaft.

If that blazer is only 1k, buy it keep it a few weeks, fix a few if need be and resale for 1500.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my other thread I started about the vehicle in question.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f20/92-blazer-fair-price-453141/

I will more than likely pick it up if everything checks out ok. This will be a vehicle that I keep for awhile as long as it doesn't give me any problems. I was just worried a little about the "doggyness" of the TBI motor. My Dad had a 91 Camaro RS with the 305 TBI in it. When I was in HS I thought that car was fast until the day I walked on it in my parents 02 Trailblazer, haha. My Dad was pissed. I guess that is the reason we both now own LS1 SS Camaro's. Now I feel that my 2000 SS that puts down 400 rwhp on motor feels slow!

I think the Blazer in question will suit my needs just fine though. Just want a decent DD that has 4wd. Thanks for the responses guys!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The TBI is rated at 160hp, the CPI is 190hp IIRC..... I think you could do some reasonable mods to wake the TBI up a bit if ya like, but the CPI does feel more responsive than the TBI for shure.... but it beats a 2.8l in a blazer ANYDAY......

·
Registered
382 Posts
the tbi motors are not known for a lot of power but they are very reliable and i have owned 2 tbi trucks and 1 tbi blazer and they are reliable. but like lesterl said do some mods to it like a e-fan and some other things and you would make that blazer pretty responsive for what it is. my 93 blazer has a e-fan k&n filter and high flow exhaust and i noticed a big difference in more getup and go and fuel mileage when i did the e-fan

·
Registered
251 Posts
The TBI is very reliable and easy to work on. The you can do some TBI mods as well. I have an injector spacer and a in line fuel pressure gage that I purchased from CFM Technology. CFM are experts in TBI mods and have the products and articles about TBI mods on thier web page.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Pretty much everyone has already covered it. Just so you know, CPI was only available from 92-95. And it did have a faster throttle response, due to the fuel injection.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
96 and newer 4.3's are SFI or MPFI, both are interchangeable and the MPFI is the upgrade kit for the earlier engines with SFI since it removes the poppets and puts the injectors directly at the intake.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You would have to remove the plastic plenum and look to see if it has injectors with wires at each intake port or nozzles that are just held in with little black clips to tell. There's no point in doing that unless you're going to change the injectors though. It's really a pretty terrible induction/injection system all around, but at least the mpfi is *kind of* reliable.

·
CPI injected
111 Posts
had many friends with SFI and i currently have a CPI which is great but it is a stubborn child sometimes.TBI for me was always more reliable and cheaper to maintain.if power is not a huge issue i would not hesitate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts