S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Where's the duct tape?
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i get an engine out of a truck of the same year. Will all of the wiring work??

·
Registered
27 Posts
s10blaza said:
most of it, maybe a few sensor plugs you may have to splice
exactly, I think the knock sensors are in different locations and on mine the TPS had a different plug, other than that it was an exact bolt in. I'm even using the 4.3 computer. I's so clean not having to worry about wiring.

Pics: This was during the build so the compartment is filthy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You don't need the prom chip of donor truck if doing this swap? Motor doesn't run lean on stock computer? Can you change the mixture with a scan tool?

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
sorry to whore but my 94 4.3 tbi might have taken a huge shyt on me last night. my dads got a 350 tbi from a 93 silverado in pieces, would it work or would i have to get a 94? how long did it take you guys to do this swap?

·
2006 PBM GTO
523 Posts
The motor will run with the 4.3 computer, but probably better with the stock 350 computer. Mine personally liked the 4.3 PCM better. The mods that I did caused the stock 350 PCM to run the motor REALLY rich, so the 4.3 PCM toned it down some, but a custom chip would have been the real answer. The '93 350 TBI should not present you with too many obstacles while putting it in your '94. The swap really doesn't take any longer that doing a regualr SBC swap. We did my first one in 4 days, and the second one took longer because I detailed everything, waited on parts, waited on the body shop, etc.....

·
Where's the duct tape?
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Looks like it is time to start rounding up parts!

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
sorry to bring back such a old topic..but im actually doing the same thing guys.. a 94 TBI to a 89 TBI 350.. did you guys find it to be pretty easy? any pictures of the process or a complete pic?? thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
hivoltagedriver said:
The motor will run with the 4.3 computer, but probably better with the stock 350 computer. Mine personally liked the 4.3 PCM better. The mods that I did caused the stock 350 PCM to run the motor REALLY rich, so the 4.3 PCM toned it down some, but a custom chip would have been the real answer. The '93 350 TBI should not present you with too many obstacles while putting it in your '94. The swap really doesn't take any longer that doing a regualr SBC swap. We did my first one in 4 days, and the second one took longer because I detailed everything, waited on parts, waited on the body shop, etc.....
I actually had the exact situation, the truck ran better on the 4.3 PCM. I'll host the pics i have of the engine bay finished, but it is a breeze. The only wires I had to change was lengthen the O2 sensor wire and move the knock sensor to a different location.

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
well the engine is in guys.. hopefully ill go for "start" this weekend.. just have to run my fuel lines.. and install the other header.. but question for ya.. is the 4.3 start strong enuff for the 350.. for the time being..

and the computer i got for the engine must be for a computer in the car.. cause its a total different style then the one i got.. so ill be running mine with the 4.3 computer.. can i run this thing with out the 02 sensor? dont have exhause made up for it and i was just going to use my 4.3 edel. Y pipe and muffler sys.. whats left of it and use that to get it to the exhaust shop..

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey guys, I'm gonna put a 350 in 1991 S10, I have 4.3l now. Let me see If I understand. I should find a 350 out of early 90's 1/2 ton.
My stock tranny will work(automatic with a shift kit)
My stock pcm will work.

should I put a carburated 350 in? will it be less hassles?
Also,what has a posi rear end that will fit? are the 1/2 tons the same width?

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
hey guys got mine running on wednesday.. and got it running pretty good.. thou i need a timing light to check timing.. and the smoke has a strong stentch of fuel in it.. will the timing cause it to not burn all the fuel but run decent? i even took the 350 injector pod off and put the 4.3 one on in its place.. i even unplugged one of the injectors and the smoke about went away.. any ideas?

thanks

·
Vortec 350 s10
840 Posts
Check your coolant temp sensor that the computer uses..should be a 2 wire deal infront of the intake manifold....

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
how would this coolant sensor dump more fuel in the truck.. two different systems correct? i wont be able to mess with till monday since im stuck at work till monday.. but im looking for more ideas..

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Chris, It makes the ECM think, the motor is cold, and needs more fuel. Just like, when you start the motor cold and need more choke, than you do if it's warm. Injected vehicles have no choke, so they widen the injector pulse to richen the mixture, when they think the motor is cold. As soon as you ECM go in to closed loop, it should switch over to the O2 sensor control and lean out. If you can't get it to lean out, get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turn the pressure down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts