S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BowTieFan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Brand new here. I have a '92 extended cab 4.3 TBI auto that I want to convert to a mild 350 with a carb. I plan to use a 2-way fuel pressure regulator so I don't have to eliminate the brand new in-tank fuel pump and return lines, but I'm not sure where to start looking for one. My other questions are mostly ECM related. What do I need to eliminate/replace harness wise? I've seen kits for the oil pan/headers/mounts and what-not. That all seems straight forward enough. My other concern is ignition. Will I need to step back to an older distributor? Any help is much much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get advice :) Thx for the help!

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
all you need is the harness parts for the temp, starter, alternator, etc.

run an IGN port wire for the HEI distrib BATT cap connector

all the ecm wires not needed

for the lockup converter if you have a 700r4 you can toggle switch it or buy a standalone controller for it

i dont even have my TCC connected on my 700r4 and its been fine for about a year now without it and i drive the wheels off it

the TBi pump would be fine for the carb

no need for a regulator

TBI pumps are low pressure

as long as the needle and seat in the carb are in good condition it will be ok

the VSS wont work any more without the ecm youll need to try to set it up like the carb 87 88 89 caprice or camaro ones are, or buy a standalone kit or find a standalone signal kit

i think its 2000 pulses on these

some are 4000 i forgot what years and models though, do some googling

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
I would use a fuel pressure regulator for any pressure over about 9 PSI, places like Summit or Jegs have dozens to choose from. Yes, you'll want a HEI istributor with a vacuum advance, and no, you don't need a special oil pan unless you have 4 wheel drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts