S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm Dave, from Edmonton, Ab. I have an '89 S-15 4x4 that I'll be rebuilding over the next few weeks. I have a friend that is going to do the tranny, and I will be doing the engine myself. I'm looking to get more torque from it and have a list of mods I plan to do:
-Vortec heads
-305 TBI or Holley unit
-edelbrock cam & intake manifold
-.020" overbore
-roller rockers
-coil & ignition module
-Headers or dual exhaust
The truck has 380000 km on it and is very tired. Very reliable except it's been through three distributors so far. I assume there may be an oiling problem there. Other things that I plan to do are auxiliary fuel tank, on board compressed air, tires & wheels, newer seats(maybe sunfire) and CD player.
Right now it has cb radio, scanner, custom overhead shelf, firebird steering wheel, fastback with forward and rear facing lights, custom exhaust, under dash lighting and PA speaker out front. I know, the fastback looks kinda funny but it's functional. I may end up fabricating roll bars instead and mount the lights there.
Has anyone tried to use a 305 TBI on a 4.3? Are there any other upgrades that I can do that won't sacrifice driveability or reliability? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. S-10's are awesome trucks! It tows, hauls, taxis, entertains and flies! Fastest I've had it up to is 170 km/h, or 102 mph! Talk to ya later!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey man thats sounds like an awesome truck. do you have any pics of her? if so could you post them on here?

good luck with the projects.

you can also go to the S-10 Extremist site, i'm sure they could tell just about anything you need to know about 4x4 S-10's.

the website addy is: www.pub95.ezboard.com/bs10extremists

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
BEAKER

a 305 tbi will be no help b/c it has the same flow rate as the 4.3 & 5.7(350). you could get a 7.4(454) tb and use 4.3 injectors w/an ajustable fuel pressure regulator from TURBO CITY. as for the cam I have an EDEL but the rest of my valve train is from COMP CAMS(lifters,rods,rockers). you might want to talk to them first since they have all the components you could get the whole set-up from them. they have full roller rockers pt# 1317-12.
I also did headers and a hi flow cat. have a look at "my mods" in my sig that should give you some ideas.
are you going to do any work to the heads? like port/polish or have them honed?
what is your friend doing to your trani, anything special?

good luck and have fun w/it . these are great little trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

My friend Ed is a mechanic who does trannies all the time. He is going to rebuild it with a shift kit and any other parts it may need. The 454 throttle body idea sounds interesting. Holley also makes a performance tbi but I haven't found a price on it yet. Junkyard parts are much easier for me to get as I used to work at an auto wrecker and have connections there.
I didn't plan on doing anything to the vortec heads other than a valve job. It's a 4x4, so I'm looking for more bottom end grunt rather than top end performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts