S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 xcab dime. i have a 4.3 vortec from a 95 noma w/ tranny, y-pipe, computer, and harness.
i am looking to find out about swapping them W/O changing the harness. does anyone know if i can get away w/ changing the top end off the motors and useing the newer vortec in mine. and use the same harness, computer and all that is in there now?

does anyone know the stats on either/ both engines? which is better?

·
Registered
619 Posts
so you want to use the 91 intake, FI, harness, and computer?

if you do want to do the above, read on, if not explain more.....does the 95 intake have 12 bolts or 8bolts.... if its 12 bolt you can use your intake... if its 8 bolt, you will have to find a tbi intake that is the same bolt pattern, 8 bolt..... simple as that...... the motor itself wont give you much gain, the heads will.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure about the other engines intake. i will have to go to storage and check it.
on mine (the 91) i have the K&N w/ the tbi spacer. will that w/ the vortec heads be a good combo? will i need to change the intake manifold up?

·
Registered
619 Posts
any combo with a newer style head is better

You need to be more specific...

95 TBI or another FI?

If its not TBI, you will need to pull the upper intake in order to see how many bolts are in the intake... if your familar with the differences in bolt patterns you can visually see with out pulling the upper intake but im not going to explain it. Also if its not TBI you will definitly have to put another intake on, possibly your 91 intake if the bolt patterns are the same

If it is tbi, you should be able to use the 95 intake with the 91 injection components

if the 95 is a 12 bolt intake, chances are they are LB35 heads, they are different than your 91 heads but not a WHOLE lot different.. they are what is considered by most here, the first vortec head... even though your heads are vortec too, just weren't marketed as vortec.

if the 95 intake is only an 8 bolt intake... then the heads are yet a newer style head, changed more than the lb35s... i dont know which are better, i heard the lb35s are better but I dont see how they could be, though i never compared them to the first 8 bolt heads.

if you wanted to use the 95 computer and 95 sensors..... with the 91 harness...... i dont know... if you sat there and compared wiring harnesses you could figure it out but i dont know.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so that i know what i am looking for......do i count the bolts and studs? or just the bolts? if it is both that i count the 95 has 12 bolts/studs, and mine(from what i could see) has 12 bolts/studs. they are both tbi engines. how do i tell if they are the LB35 heads? all the covers had on them was v6 vortec.

btw.....thanx for your help and sorry about all the questions.
but then i might have a chance at getting a 350 also.

·
Registered
619 Posts
bolts and/or studs..... only if they are the ones holding the intake to the head..... not the accessorie crap....

L35 heads are the numbers 10238181, 10077626, 14099064, 10240209....

lb4 are 10144103, they are the older- first gen vortec head.... mid 80s up to early 90s

there are websites... search for vortec heads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts