S-10 Forum banner

4.3 superchreged needed modifications

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  badaSS98 
#1 ·
I purchased another S10. its a 99 S10 5spd 4.3 supercharged with under 42,000 mileage I pulled the motor to fix a bad headgasket. Since the heads are off I need some advice regarding modifications I want to stay around $1000. The truck needs to be able to pass emissions. I would like the motor to have a very broad power band, not have all its power on the top or mid range. I don't really know how much performance you get with opening up the heads or what kind of cam to use, or should change to larger injectors. If any one has been threw this dilemma I would like some advice

Thanks

#2 ·
There are no larger injectors that are a bolt in for your truck. Search for the edelbrock 2114 conversion on this site, and you should find info on how you can use the edelbrock intake manifold to use "normal" injectors. This might blow your budjet though if you can't do the machine work yourself.

As far as a cam goes, i like my comp 260ahr, but it is really mild. I'd go a little more agressive if i was doing it again. My cam swap ended up costing about $800 for all of the parts.

Don't forget to machine the guides for lifts greater than about .480", or you will smack the retainer into the seal.

#3 ·
Definetly open up the heads. That will be the choke point besides the stock intake when wanting to up the power levels with boost. Also do as stated above if possible with the 2114. I prefered the AHR270 cam from comp it severed my needs great once I ported the heads.. Good luck, let us know the outcome.
Jay

#5 ·
Yup that is also true. With his blower he would be experiencing different curves. His power would come in a little earlier, and if he did the 2114 it would come in even a little sooner. Here is a dyno sheet of mine with the 270 some head work, and a vortech. The power comes in pretty good and stays pretty flat. The hp kept wanting to climb. I wish I could have gotten a dyno with the new intake but oh well.. enjoy Like 1fast4by said the powerband will be shifted a little higher with the above mods, but I don't think that you will be dissapointed..
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206380

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.