S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, if someone could take the time to read and help i would really appreciate it...

i bought my 99 used with 40k mi from a GM dealer and almost immediately i dropped it and put a tach on it... before this i owned a 97 2.2 so i was pretty happy with the truck off the bat but i noticed that the tach was peaking at around 4,000 rpm and there is very little power above ~3,200 rpm (it is a 5 speed). at first i thought it was just the tach and the need for an intake and electric fan but i went to a shop today and they said that the tach was actually reading the correct rpm... the only mod i've done to the engine so far is hacked the air-intake box (which didn't improve the high end power)... the guys at the shop didn't have time to check over the engine (not until next week, at least) so i was wondering if anyone here might know what is wrong...
it feels like its redlining at 4 grand with very little high end power...ecu? ignition? ...?

thanks for your time

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I dont have a tach but I lift early to get the next gear because there is no power up there. Unless mine has the same problem as yours I think these engines were made to meet emissions standards rather than being performance oriented so there is no power where there could be some. I "shift" 1500-2000rpm earlier than redline and mines an X-cab so it probably seems worse in my case which is why I AM GETTING A SuperCharger. :bash: So lets see if anyone else responds to let us know there is somthing wrong w. our trucks. :)

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Tach

Is your tach set for a 4 cyl? Most tachs are universal, you have to clip a wire or set a switch and tell them how many cyls they are
working with. Just a thought.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Another thought: Go to a non cop populated road and time yourself in the 1/4 mile. Not exact but if you get around 15-16 secs then your truck is fine. As I said before, to me these trucks sound like they are killing themselves on the topend and dont really feel like they are making much power. You can also think about it like this... A newer mustang is a V8 4.6. 8 [email protected] 4.6L= .575L per cyl. a V6 4.3 - 6 cyl. @ 4.3L= .7166L per cyl. Theoretically we should have more torque than a Mustang and engines that produce alot of torque usually dont produce alot of topend power.... So am I retarded for thinking that our trucks dont pull very much in the topend???!? I drove a few of them before I bought mine and they all felt the same....

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Re: Tach

Wicked X said:
Is your tach set for a 4 cyl? Most tachs are universal, you have to clip a wire or set a switch and tell them how many cyls they are
working with. Just a thought.
yup, when i installed my autometer 5 inch tach i had to cut one wire in the back for it to read for a 6 cylinder (cut both for a 4):thumbup:

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tach i'm using is summit's 7 color tach... it has a little switch on the back for 4, 6, and 8 cyl.

i could see what you're saying about the stock 4.3 and top-end power, but its like once i get up around ~35-3700 rpm it can barely creep up to 4k.it does get up there, i haven't hit the limited but mid 90's... i just wanna make sure that nothing's getting hurt under the hood.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
If its not throwing codes (SES Light) and there are no leaves or somthing blocking off your intake opening I cant really think of anything else that would cause this. Especially if it runs well up to 4000.. . IMO the meat of power is below 4,000 and if somthing was wrong it wouldnt feel right there either. If you still have your warranty take it in and have em check it out for piece of mind. :)

Later

·
251 Posts
Have you looked at the air filer? changed the fuel filter lately?
Checked the plugs & wires? The factory plugs are not the
greatest for performance.

My truck pulls hard to 5700 RPM:thumbup:

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Just remember that Wicked X has headers and 3" exhaust from the catback which will push the power towards the topend rather than in the low end. I hope you agree with me Wicked X (?) :) If I had the same I'm sure mine would pull alot better in the topend.

·
251 Posts
Yes i agree, But when it was stock it would pull hard to 4800
redline. My 96SS also pulled hard to redline when stock. Drove
my buddys 2002 X and it ran pretty good.I was just thinking
he mite have something wrong or he mite need a good
tune up. Factory stuff is not all that great for performance.
He could try clearing the computer and let it relearn a new map.
It mite help. Or just do e few mods to help out:idea:

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i had a hell of a day yesterday... two nights ago it got a lot worse and it was bogging down hard when it hit about 1700-2000 rpm so i took it over to my trusty mechs @ 7:30am... they looked it over and said they thought the cat was plugged, so they referred me to a good exaust shop, and he said that it was something else... so he refereed me to these other guys who know the 4.3 pretty well (owners got a low 13 sec 95 sonoma) and they tried hooking it up to the computer, replacing a bunch of sensors, etc etc and couldn't figure it out... they had also said that an astro(4.3) had come in a few weeks ago and had the same problem and they had to tow it to the dealer...so in the long run i had to get it down to the dealer. i'm still under warranty so hopefully they'll be able to figure it out...

thanks for the help guys and i'll let ya know what was wrong:rolleyes:

·
Department of Redundancy Department
114 Posts
I had a 92 Sonoma with a 4.3 TBI and 5 speed. It always felt like it was running out of breath long before it should have. It would occasionally even sound like it was popping back (brrrrap) through the TBI. Did that since new. Had tons of torqure down low, though.
Recently bought an 01 with the 4.3. First time driving a 4.3 with CPI and balance shaft. Made a world of difference in this engine. Seems to be more willing to rev. Haven't pushed it too hard, yet.
Looking at the tach, redline appears to be 5600. Left in "D", tranny shifts it at 5K with it floored.
Good luck with yours.

Raydar

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Own a 99 ZR2 and when needed will pull up to about 57-5800. not a strong pull but it never runs dry.....plugged cat? I had one that was so plugged it set my undercoating on fire. Check the timing and plugs. remember KISS. keep it simple stupid. Check your basics first...

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got off the phone with the service rep (who doesn't know his face from his a$s) and he said that they only ordered a new cat for the truck... the dealer is a good hour drive and between school and work i couldn't get down there to talk to the mech. i think they're just trying supress a symptom instead of killing the infection (heh, if you wanna get deep about it)

what exactly would cause a plugged cat??

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I'm suprised it happened so soon but it does happen. joe said it first: "only thing i could think of is exhaust.doubt that its a plug cat though."

I bet thats your problem. Does it smell funny? Like (_(_) ? :)

·
99 s10 4.3 for sale
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol yea it did kinda smell a 'lil funky

i'm pickin my baby up tomorrow, but all they did was replace the cat....what are the chances that it could happen again???

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I think I remember reading it sometimes happens around 60-80,000 miles+, I could be wrong though. I think it also happens if they sit alot of the time. The crap inside the catylitic converter gets broken up and ends up packing up blocking up the openings (exit). Happened on my 85 RZ350 2 stroke bike that had catylitics so it could be street legal. Happened on 1 exhaust, completely blocked it up tight as a drum. had to make it home on 1 cyl. And never got the stuff cleared out.

·
Camaro Owner, S10 Lover.
148 Posts
s10rz350 said:
Another thought: Go to a non cop populated road and time yourself in the 1/4 mile. Not exact but if you get around 15-16 secs then your truck is fine. As I said before, to me these trucks sound like they are killing themselves on the topend and dont really feel like they are making much power. You can also think about it like this... A newer mustang is a V8 4.6. 8 [email protected] 4.6L= .575L per cyl. a V6 4.3 - 6 cyl. @ 4.3L= .7166L per cyl. Theoretically we should have more torque than a Mustang and engines that produce alot of torque usually dont produce alot of topend power.... So am I retarded for thinking that our trucks dont pull very much in the topend???!? I drove a few of them before I bought mine and they all felt the same....
This is correct, but a lot of factors are missing. S10's are made for towing, not to break down and have power (sorry ford guys). Those are built for performance, besieds, they have better flowing heads and an extra cam.

·
Camaro Owner, S10 Lover.
148 Posts
Save some time and get more power! Take your truck to a muffler shop, have custom bent 2.5"-3" pipes and tell them to remove the cat, or have a hi-flo cat installed.

You can get a nice set of pipes installed for $80-$150.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts