S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me I haven't ever posted on here n I do most all the work on my own chevy s10 4.3 liter throttle body pickup.i googled 1st Gen and 2nd Gen to try to go to appropriate place.i just want to know why my truck uses so much gas.it takes 10.00 worth to go 26 miles

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
What year is it and is everything stock or is it modded with a lift and bigger tires?

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
62 Posts
What year is your truck, and is it four wheel drive?

Is the Service Engine Soon light on?

If you jack up each corner of the truck and spin the tire by hand, does it seem like the brake is dragging?

Good for you, working on your own truck and asking questions! We all start at the beginning. I coached my daughter through the suspension and transaxle of her 2004 MINI Cooper, plus the water pump and alternator.

The deal when she got the car was she did most of the wrenching. Too many places in a MINI I can’t get my hands, anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is it and is everything stock or is it modded with a lift and bigger tires?
It's a 1991 everything just like it came from the factory the only difference is instead of 14 inch tires I have 15.ive put new plugs,wires radiator,heater core,battery,fuel filter,new thermostat,totally rebuilt the throttle bottle except the injectors which I was told by several guys are fine,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 1991 everything just like it came from the factory the only difference is instead of 14 inch tires I have 15.ive put new plugs,wires radiator,heater core,battery,fuel filter,new thermostat,totally rebuilt the throttle bottle except the injectors which I was told by several guys was fine.not 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone please help me I haven't ever posted on here n I do most all the work on my own chevy s10 4.3 liter throttle body pickup.i googled 1st Gen and 2nd Gen to try to go to appropriate place.i just want to know why my truck uses so much gas.it takes 10.00 worth to go 26 miles
Yes I'm having problems with the brakes.i just got rotors,brake pads,etc.havent put them on yet,yes the check engine light comes on but doesn't stay on.Did I mention I'm 53 n I've been working on my rides my whole life n I'm tired.i finally found someone with an obd 1 n 2 tester n he was so old he didn't remember how to use it.i can't afford anything extra.the gauge light has starting coming on as well

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you are in California, your dollar-per-mile is about right.:mad:
Don't forget the soft brake lines - when they fail, they tend to not release, causing drag.
Does it act flooded at any time?
Check the intake coolant temp sender, the computer can richen things when it thinks it's cold.

Keep feeding info, there are some very experienced folks here that can help you get to the bottom of it.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
If the gauge light is starting to come on look at your gauges when it does. It's telling you something isn't right that you should take a look at. If your oil pressure, voltage, or temp are out of normal they could have some bearing on the fuel mileage.
As Salty says everyone is starting to see their miles per dollar decreasing. If you are running $3 gas the miles per gallon sucks. If it's $5 a gallon it's about right. Mixed city/highway MPG with a 4.3 is going to be some where in the teens. Depending on the size of your right foot. And the terrain in your area. You'll get a lot better mileage on the grasslands of Kansas as opposed to the hills and valleys of northern New England or Idaho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys thanks for all your input first off let me say the truck came from a south Carolina flood and I still to this day no matter how many times I empty the block,replace hoses do all I can do flushed it so many times I truly don't see how it can have anything in it yet every single time I turn around I have rust in the cooling system.the man that it originally came from told me he did a lot to it n couldn't ever keep it running.i believe he told a story and the one I bought it from.i live in covington ga gas is 3.19 at the cheapest place.yes I drive it like I stole it lol.it runs like a scalded dog but even when I take it easy it sucks.i was told it was one of the worst Chevrolet made for fuel mileage. I wish it had a carburetor at least I would know what to do with it.im old fashioned dodge 318 and chevy 350 1,2, and 4 barrel carbs I can work with.i can take a motor apart n put it back together,no problem but I know nothing about fuel injection or any of the newer junk n I hate it.Is there anyone in Georgia that can help me.i do doordash for a living.i struggle but i can make payments on the work.i can't do without my truck.everyone says get rid of it.never.i love my truck

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
62 Posts
If I remember correctly, you don’t need a reader to see what codes are stored in these pre-1996 trucks.
YouTube is your friend in these situations too,

Once you have the number(s) of the stored code(s), do an internet Search for “1991 chevy s10 trouble code list” and I found good results on the first page.

Hope this helps.

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Are you putting just water in the cooling system or a 50/50 antifreeze mix. That would contain rust inhibitors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts