S-10 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Question are the ACDELCO lifters HL120 - singles and HL128 an 8 pak of the same lifters (HL120) only 8 of them? or are they two different lifters? It looks like the Melling lifters are not roller? The AcDelco lifters are roller lifters? This is a stock engine.. Do roller lifters work/ are they better?

·
Been there Done it
7,557 Posts
Roller lifters are definitely better if your engine came from the factory with them. Putting them in an engine not originally equipped can be expensive. You can't just swap lifters either way. They have to match the camshaft, flat or roller. If you are replacing flat lifters they need to be broken in properly or they won't last.
What are you trying to put these in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What are you trying to put these in?
Its a 2000 GMC Jimmy.. as far as i know its stock.. trying to find the best deal on lifters that i can.. the AcDelco HL128, 8 pack at around $30 seems to be the best deal to me.. ? I am thinking they are the same as the HL120s only sold in a group of 8? We were told our truck has a lifter tick.. and i am hoping thats what it is.. the shop that told us was using a stethoscope and said it was the drivers side .. is there a fool proof way to know if its a lifter tick and not a rod knock?

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Gun Totin Redneck
1,155 Posts
cough cough sea foam equal snake oil since they took out the corrosive componet to lessen the price to sell at walmart read the msds, oops did i say that out-loud?

·
Gun Totin Redneck
1,155 Posts
before someone asks a mod for a butt hurt report over my seafoam comment

light oil aka mineral oil and Isopropanol aka alcohol so baby oil and jack dainels and the latter would be much more useful on your woman than a truck :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whats the deal with lifters? I bought what i though twas an 8 pack of lifters HL128 and just got one back.. even though the photo for that item defnitely showed 8 lifters you only get one? How do they get away with picturing 8 and only sending one? someone need sdto look into how trying to find answers to buying lifters when that shady crap is going on..
HL128 shopping.png

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
HL128 is the new style LS-7 lifter. Those run about $20-30 each online. I've seen sets of 8 go for under $200 on Amazon. If you paid $30, you paid for one.

It's a better lifter design than the HL120, and AC Delco lifters generally are expensive. The GM Part # is 12648846 for the LS7 lifters. When ordering for LS7 engine, make sure you get the ones without "cylinder deactivation" for the "Displacement on Demand" or whatever they call it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts