S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Stock computer? Very little you can do in the way of cam upgrades, TBI and lumpy cams do not play together well. Something in the "RV cam" range, under 220 with a wide LSA.
Headers help but many say they don't help much at all.
Deck the block to leave the pistons .005 in the hole, use true flat tops with valve reliefs, not GM's shallow dish. Shoot for .035 - .040 quench.
TORQUE PLATE HONE - don't pass up on this, you'll have better compression and less blowby - more power, cleaner oil, win-win.
Vortec heads won't work with a throttle body unless you upgrade to the Edelbrock or GM intake made just for it. Have the shop clean up the casting flash and any ridges in the ports. Clean up, not changing the shape. Use back-cut valves for increased flow. Street valve job, not race, you need wider margins to help dissipate heat from the valve.
Leave the throttle body alone, it's big enough for a 350 to make decent power, you won't need any more. Just rebuild what you have.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Stock computer can handle a small RV cam but nothing with any lump in the idle.
Same things work on a 4.3 that work on an 5.7L. There are a ton more parts available for the V8 which can be aggravating if you're building a V6.
I build one in a '91 Astro van. Idled like shit but would burn tires like a V8. Cam I used was too big, it has roughly the specs of the old flat tappet L79.
I wouldn't go past teens in .050 duration and a wide LSA to keep overlap down and vacuum up in the intake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts